The Connection Runners

October Opulence in Review

Ha. There was very little opulence actually contained in my October, but I needed a good "O" noun, and that was the first one I thought of (courtesy of the recent Great Gatsby unit I taught at work).

Let's revisit the month, eh?

Running Recap
Miles Run: A hair shy of 20. It's crazy to think that, just a few months back, I ran 20 miles in one day. Now I'm averaging just five a week.
Longest Run: 3.7 while running the Cupcake Classic Virtual Race.
Races: Cupcake Classic and the Wicked Halloween 5k.
Running Moment of the Month: Averaging just over 10-minute miles during the 5k on Sunday. I was hoping to at least maintain 11's, so being veryclose to running even 10's was a great feeling.

Blog Bits
Good Reading: As race season kicked into high gear all over the nation this fall, I enjoyed keeping tabs on some of my favorite blogging athletes through recaps and race tales.

  • Sweat Once A Day: Even though she's currently dealing with a broken foot, Emily rocks the running and triathlon world so, so much. She's fast and fearless, two things I aspire to be as an endurance athlete (ha! me... an athlete. That's just silly).
  • Mile Posts: I've mentioned Dorothy before, but hadn't yet highlighted her blog in a monthly recap. She ran two marathons this month (badass!), coming in with sub-3:20 times. Her posts are always very positive and inspiring to read.

On The Road Again... Again: I did a lot of crap this month. It was a busy one. Among the mayhem:

  • Spectated the 2011 Chicago Marathon and learned some spectating lessons along the way
  • Realized that teaching and running have some very distinct commonalities
  • LBA turned 28-weeks-old in fetus years, and to celebrate she gave away some Tommie Copper compression sleeves
  • Had 100 followers actually sign up to read my ramblings
  • Accepted a new pace in my pregnant & running life

November Goals
1) Stay motivated as the weather turns colder and my belly gets larger. I plan on maintaining a minimum of five miles per week - running, walking, or a combo of both.
2) Participate in the Pile on the Miles Challenge hosted by Monica at Run, Eat, Repeat. The program will offer me a nice way to keep up with goal #1.
3) Enjoy some ridiculous treats on Thanksgiving after I run the Detroit Turkey Trot 5k. Yeah, I'm already looking forward to Turkey Day. The race will be cool, but the food afterward will be even cooler. It's all about balance, folks.

Thanks for joining me this month!

What was one highlight from your October? And what's one goal you have for November?