The Connection Runners

Loaf-ing Around

Hello folks! It's almost Friday, who has weekend plans? I picked up my race t-shirt, chip, and hangtag this afternoon for the 5K on Saturday morning. My legs have been feeling really good lately so hopefully that holds up for the race:).

As promised, I have a berry rhubarb loaf recipe for you today! I was inspired by this little find at TJ Maxx (gotta love the unique things you can find there):

I was also apt to include one of my favorite baking ingredients:

Chobani Greek Yogurt. I can't decide, but I think pomegranate is my new favorite. (Or is it mango??)

So I took an old recipe and updated it, and here's what happened:
Spiced Berry Rhubarb Loaf
Spiced, a little bit sweet, and a whole lot of wholesome, this bread is perfect for breakfast or a snack. Add a little more sweetener and you're ready for dessert!

Ingredients:

Dry:
1 1/4 cups flour (I mixed oat flour and spelt)

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 cup sugar (I used Splenda Brown and Coconut Sugar)

Wet:
1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used Chobani Pom)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 flax egg (1 TBSP flaxseed meal + 3 TBSP water)
2 TBSP blackstrap molasses
1 TBSP maple syrup
2 TBSP jam/preserves (I used berry rhubarb)

Mix-ins
2 TBSP chopped pecans

Topping
1 TBSP jam + 1 TBSP butter + 1/2 TBSP flour 1 TBSP brown sugar
sprinkle of pecans

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease loaf pan.
2. Mix flax egg (1 TBSP flaxseed meal and 3 TBSP water) and set aside.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl.
4. Pour wet into dry, mix until just combined.
5. Fold in pecans.
6. Pour batter in loaf pan.
7. Mix topping, crumble/spread on top sprinkle w/ pecans.
8. Bake for 38-40 mins at 375.
9. ENJOY!

Well, the oven timer is going off and there may or may not be something involving pumpkin a-cooking. Details to follow...