The Connection Runners

The Magical Fruit

It's no secret that I love me some carbs. But the macronutrient nearest and dearest to my heart is definitely protein. I've always had a love affair with the stuff, but recently I feel like the degree of artificial protein in my diet is more than the amount of natural protein. I love Zone Bars, I love Nu-go bars, and I've tried my share of protein powders, but to some extent I feel like natural protein should be front and center in a "flexitarian" diet. (I will probably never stop with bars and powders- definitely not bashing them!)

I've added sunflower seeds to my peanut butter sandwiches, I've sprinkled nutritional yeast on my soup, and I've upped my plain Greek yogurt intake (I almost forgot how delicious it is!). Nuts, seeds, tofu--all awesome sources of vegetarian/vegan protein. But how could I ever neglect the magical fruit itself, beans?

Never.

Creamy Three Bean Hummus
Cuz why use one bean, when you can use three?
All three beans have their fair share of protein and carbs-mixed with the fats in tahini and canola oil- well you've got yourself a filling dip, sandwich topping, etc.
All you need is a food processor (and the ingredients, silly!)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup lentil beans
1/4 cup red kidney beans
1/4 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup tahini
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBSP canola oil
sprinkle parmesan herb powder
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients into food processor. Pulse until creamy.

Serve with veggies, scoop it into a pita w/ veggies (and lunchmeat if that's how you roll), dip chips in it, etc.

How do you get your protein?