The Connection Runners

Are You There Spring?

Another Sunday, another weekend wrap up! Highlights..

We hit up Tonic Bar & Grill last night for some delicious food in the cultural/strip district.

I got the Apple Burger- and made it veggie w/ a veggie burger, gouda, apples, and maple aioli. It was out of this world delicious. W/sweet potato fries which were perfectly crispy, and probably the best I've had in awhile.

Then I hung out with these guys..

Then we curled up for a marathon of one of our favorite (canceled :-() shows

Anyone else love this show? I'm definitely looking forward to the movie!

Today we caught up on some cleaning and I worked to fill the void on our kitchen counter (no molasses bread? tragedy). It was only fate that we had overripe bananas on hand...
Cranberry Orange Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 tsp orange extract
2 TBSP molasses
1 TBSP maple syrup
1 liquid egg white
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease loaf pan.
2. Combine flour, baking soda+powder, cinnamon, brown sugar in a medium sized bowl. Mash bananas in another bowl, then add orange extract, molasses, maple syrup, egg white. Add wet into dry, mix until combined.
3. Fold in pecans and cranberries. Pour into greased baking pan.
4. Bake for 38-40 mins at 375.
5. Don't burn your tongue shoving this fluffy deliciousness down your pie-hole.

One thing I really love about baking is that just subbing a few ingredients can really change the flavor of the recipe. This banana bread is light and airy, whereas the molasses bread I made last week was dense, chewy, and hearty. I guess bananas are magic :-).

Today it's 7 weeks until my first half-marathon! I ran 10.5 miles and I'm wondering if I should've followed a training plan because I think by the time I get to the half I may have over-trained. I'm almost thinking I should've gone for the marathon. I guess from this point my theory is to work up to 13 miles so it's like an everyday run by the time the half rolls around. Maybe throw some of the dreaded speed work in there for good measure. If only Mother Nature would make up her mind about the temperature out there- today certainly felt like winter on my run, my hands were purple and cheeks were bright red when I got home. It's hard training for a race mostly on the treadmill- my times and energy levels are totally different on the belt vs on the pavement.

Are you there Spring? It's me, Allie.

Is it warm where you are? (Can I come visit?)