The Connection Runners

Let's Talk About Lunch, and Winter Weight Woes

Hi friends!
I browsed my recipe page and realized I have one measly lunch recipe on the site thus far. But let's be serious- who doesn't look forward to lunch every day? I'll admit that I'm pretty cut and dry with my lunchtime routine (i.e. I eat the same thing almost every day)- but let me share with you my new "go-to" lunchtime salad that really keeps the lunchtime boredom at bay and my belly full.

Allie's Go-To Tupperware Salad

Ingredients:
Baby spinach
Chopped baby cucumbers
Baby carrots
1 hard-boiled egg
1/4 cup blueberries
2 TBSP pistachio nutmeats
Sprinkle parmesan cheese
Sprinkle Nutritional Yeast
Optional: snap pea crisps (TJs), almond slices, tofu crumbles; hummus or dressing on the side

This salad has got sweet, salty, crunchy, and crisp all in one medium-sized tupperware. (Not to mention 2-3 servings of veggies, ~serving fruit, healthy fats, and protein). Trick to make it last longer? Use chopsticks to eat (thanks Abby :-) ).

Another thing that's been on my mind recently (and is always a pressing matter throughout the holiday season)- holiday weight gain. It seems inevitable, with all of the parties/gatherings/events, and omnipresent goodies at the workplace. Just walking around Trader Joes yesterday I was tempted by a myriad of treats- salted caramels, dark chocolate stars, chocolate covered marshmallows, peppermint bark... It was enough to make my head spin. I settled on these:

They are magical. No regrets here.

And then I hightailed it out of the store with the usual vegetables, fruits, yogurt, protein bars, tofu, soy milk, and eggs.
My level of comfort with turning down holiday treats is increasing, with the blog as my backer, my research in child obesity, and my "veggie" status- I can get away with it more often. That being said- I've mentioned before that I love treats. Sugary chocolatey goodness is my weakness. Here are some tactics I'll be testing throughout the rest of the winter months:

1. Sticking with my exercise routine: It's tough, believe me. The weather is terrible, we are traveling often, holiday events pop up, you get the idea. I'm working on accepting that there may not be time on certain days to get exercise in- and believe me going from 7 days a week to 4 is hard. But it's important for me to maximize the days I can exercise and not be too hard on myself- The season will pass and I luckily have a membership to an awesome gym :-).

2. Eating the "necessities": We've all been at the parties where we munch on anything and everything because it's there. My goal is to be more conscious about what's on my plate, and only eat the treats that I feel I can't live without (instead of the umpteenth piece of cheese because I'm hungry)

3. Eating before events: I get excited about food events- I love food. However- like the cheese plate mentioned above- if I go to an event with an empty stomach, trouble may ensue. I plan to eat some combo of greens/protein/fat before an event so my stomach isn't grumbling and I'm not hovering over the serving tables for the entire party.

4. Mix and mingle: that's the Jingle Bell Rock, no? Holidays are about more than food- family and friends are important too! I'll make the effort to see and talk to a variety of people instead of focusing on the food portion of events.

5. Saying "no": As mentioned above- we don't have to eat every cookie and donut that's offered to us. I will be more comfortable with saying no (and having a backup snack if the offering comes when I'm hungry!).

What about you? Is holiday weight gain a concern or do you have tricks to avoid it?

Off to listen to Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You." ;-)

Shamelessly,
Allie