The Connection Runners

What do you crave?

As I lay in bed last night all I could think about was bread.

In fact, I even found myself reaching for my BlackBerry to google bread recipes. It took me a few minutes to pick up on how much of a fixation it was.

I remember thinking: "It can't be normal to be salivating over the mere thought of bread."

But apparently it is "normal". You see (heads up... here comes a TMI moment), I am on my period right now and there are scientific reasons backing up my sudden obsession with carbs. I did a little research today and I came up with some interesting things.

1. I am not alone: 70% of women have cravings during their period.

2. The number one thing women crave on their periods is chocolate. No surprise there.

Explanation for my midnight bread cravings: During our periods the fluctuation in our estrogen levels cause dips in our serotonin level. Serotonin is the hormone released by the brain that gives us that "happy" feeling. So when that level dips we experience a slight depression. Most people think of bread as "comfort" food and it is associated with a full feeling. So last night, my body was wanting to self medicate with bread.

Usually when the serotonin level drops women want sugar (i.e. chocolate). I rarely crave the candies and sweets, but white bread is a simple carbohydrate which the body breaks down into sugar.

Additionally, a drop in energy usually accompanies menstruation so our bodies natural response is to turn to food to restore ourselves. Sugar is often the "quick fix" that we want.

By the way, those hormone fluctuations and serotonin dips is what causes mood swings as well.

Pretty interesting stuff. However, knowing there is "science" behind my cravings doesn't stop them. There are however a few ways to combat those cravings:

1. Move your body:Exercising on a regular basis naturally increases serotonin levels. An added bonus is that it helps with menstrual cramps.

2. Eat up: Achieve that "comforting" full feeling through fiber. A pot of black beans is a great option. If you eat carbs make sure they are the whole grain variety. These will help you stay full longer and avoid the energy crash that comes from eating simple carbs.

3.Go natural: Skip the refined sugars and get yours from Mother Nature. Fresh fruit is naturally sweet enough to curb those cravings and you'll have the added benefit of fiber and vitamins.

4.Go to bed: Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep. If you're well rested you are less likely to reach for something sweet to give you a quick boost.

And if all of that fails you can try my favorite method of avoiding the kitchen: spend the evening in a nice bubble bath with a glass of wine and a good romance novel.

Take care ladies.

What do you crave during your period?
How do you combat those cravings?
Did any men make it all the way through this post? :)


Don't forget to enter my TWO giveaways.(links in sidebar)