The Connection Runners

You want inspiration? I'll show you inspiration

This online community is an amazing thing. It's weird, sometimes I feel like I'm in a relationship with it. I give what I can to this community, I support others, lend a hand when needed, but no matter how much I DO, I always receive more than I give.

Through blogging I've found accountability, friendships, and lately a lot of inspiration. I wanted to highlight someone today, someone who has been a source of inspiration to me over the past several months:

Yep, thats the amazing Kerrie from Mom vs Marathon. For those of you not familiar with her, I'll break it down for you: she ROCKS. I've had the pleasure of meeting her in person, she's funny, sweet and just a great person to be around. I heart her. See, we look all sweaty glowy and in love. :)

Kerrie is an amazing momma, works her butt off, trained for and ran her first full marathon this year, oh AND FOUND SOME SPEED.

Here's the deal: I started following Kerrie's blog LONG before I ever met her. I liked that we had a few things in common. Our son's are close in age, she has lost a decent amount of weight, AND we ran similar paces.

I rarely talk about pace on my blog, but I've always pretty much considered myself a 10min/miler. Sure I could run a 5k at a faster pace, but other than that I defaulted to 10min/miles and just figured that was what my body wanted. Kerrie pretty much ran about the same pace, and in a blogland full of 7 and 8min/milers I took comfort in another person of similar speed.

But here's the thing: Over the past 6 months or so Kerrie has been working her little butt off. She has been setting goals, attacking them and reaching them. I've kept an eye on her blog and her progress. She is picking up speed like crazy. If I need a dose of inspiration I just take a look at her Daily Mile reports. Miles in the low 8s are becoming the norm, she is finding her stride as a runner.

Now, hopefully you know me well enough by now to know that I think pace is relative. I don't judge someone by what they run, "fast" to me may be "slow" to another person.

You all know, I started working with an amazing coach who assures me I AM NOT a 10min/miler. He tells me I have untapped speed, he tells me I can pick up the pace. And honestly? I'm not sure I would've believed him if I hadn't had Kerrie as an example that it IS possible to break out of your mold.

Earlier this week I had a progression run, I ran that last mile at an 8:30. For me that is "fast", I had to work for it, but as I was focused I wasn't thinking about how hard it was, I was thinking about how Kerrie goes out there and attacks her goals, and it gave me inspiration to do the same.

She is a great example, that is you want something bad enough, and if you're willing to work for it, you can reach the stars... or a sub 2.

On Sunday Kerrie is running the You Go Girl half marathon. She has a goal of a sub 2.

She's going to KILL IT.

Please join me in cheering her on. Good luck Kerrie.