The Connection Runners

My Hips Don't Lie

Today I forced myself to come to the terms with the fact that in the past week or so--I overdid it with the running. I love running, and when the temps hit 80 this weekend you bet my sneakers were laced up and I was out the door in minutes. But unfortunately, I know even as a novice runner (been running a long time, but don't really read up too much about it!) that you shouldn't increase your mileage drastically because it can lead to injury.
Some sources even say it's best to increase by 10% per week. I doubled my mileage from 20-->40 miles. Needless to say, I'm having serious issues with my outer hip/IT band, and my body is begging me to, well, not run. So it's rest, lots of stretching, and a little yoga (Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga) for me. I haven't done yoga in months, so it was a little embarrassing how much I was shaking during this 45 minute video.

I'd recommend it if you're new to yoga/are skeptical about yoga like me. I'm not into being static for long periods of time, and Bob mixes up static poses with weights, medicine ball abs, etc.

In other news, I made some yummy bread today, featuring Strawberry Chobani Yogurt. Chobani seriously is like candy, and I love adding protein to recipes with delicious Greek Yogurt.
Very Berry Protein Bread
Soy flour and Greek yogurt pump up the protein, berries for nutrition, and pecans for healthy fat!
Wholesome and delish.

Ingredients:
DRY
2/3 cup soy flour
1/2 cup WW/spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 TBSP brown sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom

WET
1 cup greek yogurt (I used Strawberry Chobani)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange extract
1 TBSP molasses
2 TBSP maple syrup (sugar free)
1 egg (I used a serving of egg beaters)

mix-ins
1/3 cup chopped strawberries
1/4 cup raspberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans

topping (optional)
spray w/buttery spread + sprinkle of brown sugar + cinnamon
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease bread pan.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flours, baking soda+powder, spices) in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Mix wet ingredients (yogurt, extracts, syrups) in a small bowl.
4. Pour wet into dry. Mix well, then fold in berries and nuts.
5. Empty batter into bread pan. Spray w/ buttery spread and sprinkle w/ brown sugar and cinnamon.
6. Bake at 375F for 40-45 mins.

And, I'm super excited because I discovered that Spark People has a recipe calculator where you can enter the ingredients for your recipe and it'll spit out nutrition facts. Addictiivveee.

Nutrition Facts

Very Berry Protein Bread

8 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories
131.1

Total Fat
3.1 g

Saturated Fat
0.3 g

Polyunsaturated Fat
0.9 g

Monounsaturated Fat
1.5 g

Cholesterol
0.1 mg

Sodium
21.9 mg

Potassium
311.1 mg

Total Carbohydrate
18.2 g

Dietary Fiber
3.4 g

Sugars
7.5 g

Protein
7.8 g