The Connection Runners

OTRA On Location

While feeding my blog obsession, I often drool over photos that feature gorgeous running locales and routes.

Ali on the Run shows off stunning sunrises on her morning runs through NYC.

SkinnyRunner and Monica from Run, Eat, Repeat log miles in sunny California.

In Chicago, Running Lizard posts pics of exquisite architecture and the always perfectly perfect Lake Michigan.

While I can't compete with some of these pretty pictorials, I can offer all sixteen of you readers a glimpse into one of my running routes.

Most of the time, I run down a local road called Hines Drive. For those of you not in southeastern Michigan, Hines Drive is a 20+ mile road that connects no less than five cities; it's flanked by various little parks, soccer fields, and random bodies of water.

I love running down Hines because it allows me to get a little taste of nature in the middle of Metro Detroit. Plus, traffic is minimal and intersections (read: stoplights!) are a rarity. It's quiet, but I can always count on seeing handfuls of walkers, runners, cyclists, and nature buffs out on the road.

So, in an effort to document all things running, I schlepped my camera while out on a 7-mile speedy run tonight and captured a bit of my route:

Path along Hines. There's a little river called the Rouge next to the path; it's dirty and smelly sometimes, but I do enjoy having a bit of water to run next to.

Headed uphill around mile 3. This hill's a bit of a killer, but I definitely like coming back the other way and getting to run down it!

Lakeside at mile 3.75. It's a tiny man-made lake, but pretty nonetheless!

More of the lake and the ducks.

Headed back downhill and back towards home. The sun hitting the branches makes me happy.

Back home on our street. We live in a really old neighborhood where giant towering trees provide a canopy over the streets. It'll be gorgeous when all the green leaves come back.

So that's the route! I sometimes I wish I had more to look at while out pounding the pavement, but Hines does me pretty well. It's peaceful out there.

Overall, tonight's run went well. I'd taken some days off this week due to a nasty case of Shin Splintz, but got back out and ran a hot little pace today:

Feeling great with 24 days left until Kalamazoo!

Now it's time to watch Will Ferrell on The Office and drink a smoothie and snuggle with the hubs and the BaxterCat.

Megan Wants to Know... what do you love most about where you run?