The Connection Runners

It's About to Get All Coffeehouse Up in Here

I used to write a lot of sad, emo poetry back in high school in addition to listening to a lot of angsty, whiny teen rock. Then, I got old.

I went to college, got a job, found a husband, paid bills, fed my cat. And the writing pretty much stopped. (that was probably a good thing because that poetry probably blew.)

But today, in the middle of my fifth hour conference period, I was struck by the poetry bug as I planned stole an assignment from a colleague for my English kids for tomorrow. Developed as an example for my students who perpetually need examples of stuff, the poem became a new way for me to indulge in my emotions and thoughts as a runner.

And so, I thought I'd share this little poem I wrote about running.

Forgive me in advance. I wrote this in between planning lessons, making copies, returning emails, finally using the bathroom for the first time all day, checking voicemail, eating the remains of a brown apple, finalizing the student-produced newspaper, and cleaning up the crap on my carpeted floor.

But then again, who I am kidding? It might just really suck and belong with that frightfully embarrassing stuff I wrote in tenth grade.

But if you'd like to give me some black-beret-and-espresso snaps, please feel free to do so. (And in case you're so inclined, the inspiration and source format for this poem comes from a Langston Hughes poem that you can read here.)

The (Amateur) Runner Speaks of Miles
I've run miles:
I've run miles that are as easy as the spring sun on wintered eyes and as tough
as steel stuck in a stone castle

My heart knows these miles, too.

I've thumped through 5,000 meters like an elephant in a patch of delicate daisies
I've skipped between painful tired faces and bodies to gain ground
I've trudged over neon finish lines as beaming spectators smiled approvals
I've sprinted to the 138, 336th foot just so I could say that I finished and
prove you all wrong

I've run miles:
Lonely, happy miles.

My heart knows these miles, too.


Megan wants to know... what are your favorite kind of miles to run and why? Do you prefer to run in races, alone in training, or maybe speedwork with friend?