The Connection Runners

You want something. Go get it. Period

Appropriate way to begin 2011. You want something? Go get it. Period.

Love that clip. Might be the Dad in me, but a father telling a son that he can achieve anything in this world is about as real as it gets. It's a conversation that I have with my little ones every now and again, rarely a planned event, but something that just comes up in the nature of our relationship. If nothing else in this world, if I can inspire my children to reach a little bit further, to raise them to be confident in themselves and not to shy away from something just because it's difficult, to pursue their dreams - isn't that what it's all about?

The new year has gotten off to a pretty good start - did a 6 miler New Year's Day, a 20.36 miler on Sunday, then after a brutal Taewkondo class Monday night, another 6 miler yesterday. My hamstrings are feeling a bit tight today, but nothing some good stretching at class tonight can't remedy.

Miami is less than four weeks away. I've got a 15 miler this Sunday, then one more 20 miler the following week, as I'm following the Hal Higdon Intermediate II schedule leading up to the race.

I've been tinkering a bit with the remaining 9 races, trying to figure out logistics and trying to keep travel to a reasonable minimum. Here's what I've decided upon:

1/30 Miami
2/27 Hyannis
3/20 Atlanta
5/1 Flying Pig Cincy
5/29 VT City Burlington
7/10 Mad Marathon VT
7/31 Around the Lake
8/28 Quebec City
10/3 Maine Marathon

Looking forward to them all but a few in particular - going to pace a good buddy for his first full marathon at Flying Pig, and some family will run in Quebec City.

I've had a hard time finding something that works for me in the month of June - Lake Placid is the weekend of the Montreal Grand Prix and that would have been ideal but I already have tickets for qualifying and the race. Forza Ferrari! So the inaugural Mad Marathon on the 10th of July near Sugarbush will be my June race, followed a few weeks later with the Around the Lake. I did the 12 hour race last year when I managed 51.6 miles in 11:00:16, the final 7 miles with a hairline fracture in my talus bone. Fortunately that healed nicely and was still able to hike up a storm with my Dad in Montanta a few weeks later, and I was back running in 3 weeks time.

Unfortunately Chicago is out as the final race due to a scheduling conflict - so I will end this 12 month journey where it began, at the Maine Marathon in Portland. Seems a proper way to wrap it all up.