The Connection Runners

A Different Kind of Endurance

"A doctor must work eighteen hours a day and seven days a week. If you cannot console yourself to this, get out of the profession." -Martin Fischer

Womp.Womp..

In all honesty, my ideal lifestyle (and most people feel this way) would be one where I'd always have some time to square away for healthy eating and exercise (and time to make my own doctor's appointments!). It seems simple enough, and has always been a goal of mine. That being said- the next 10+ years of my life are going to push me to the limit of my comfort and my flexibility in regards to a lot of things, my health included. I chose the path of medicine because I truly want to use my knowledge and skills for the good of humanity, at the risk that my own "good" sometimes comes second.

As altruistic as this sounds, it's hard not to notice the cynicism and jadedness around me in the clinics and hospitals. For some docs, at some point in their career they stop caring (or maybe don't have time to care) about a lot of things. Case en pointe- when offered pizza yesterday I declined, saying I typically bring my own lunch and prefer to eat healthy. The doc responded "Oh I used to be healthy too, until I became a doctor."

My little lunchbox

This is so frustrating to me- and I'm working through in my head every day on how to compromise without driving myself up a wall. I tried my way of packing lunch and snacks to get me through a "real" workday- and end up coming home and eating everything in sight! I'm sure it's a combo of stress and hunger- but I caved today and worked on my resolution(s) to give myself a break and be more flexible by rounding out the food in my kitchen with some (unfortunately) processed foods. I hope over the course of the next few years I'll find the best balance between whole foods and processed foods- still figuring everything out.

Shock! Horror!

Just kidding. Still nothing here is really bad- I know I'm exaggerating. But this doesn't count the temptations I'll face during long hours and unhealthy free meals.

Another thing I'm working on is my exercise schedule. As you all know it's so important to me to fit it in (especially while training for a half)- but I realize now there are going to be a lot of times when it physically won't be possible. I hated getting home so late the other night and was incredibly happy to get a run in yesterday. This rotation (and my future career) will test not only my body's ability to endure, but also my mind's.

And to do that (and move on from serious business)- here's some brain food.

Wake Up and Go Breakfast Squares
(based on OSG Healthy Banana Cranberry Oat Bars)
My fave ingredients. Easy to grab for breakfast as I run out the
door before the sun comes up!

1/4 cup milk (I used soy)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 cup oil (I used canola)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or 2 medium bananas, mashed)
1/3 cup raisins
2 TBSP chocolate chips
1.5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or other flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8th tsp kosher salt
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking pan (OSG calls for 8X8, I used a bread loaf pan)
2. Pour pumpkin, vanilla, milk, oil, sugar, and flaxseed into one bowl. Pour flour, oats, coconut, baking powder, salt into another bowl. Pour wet into dry and mix well. Fold in raisins (or craisins) and chocolate chips.
3. Empty mix into baking pan and spread to even out.
4. Bake at 350 F for 35-40 mins, until edges are brown and slightly crisp.

Wholesome deliciousness.

Sorry for my seriousness today- I'm off to the gym to think more happy thoughts :-)

Today's happy thing: finding the coffee shop in my hospital today :-)

Also- check out my new "Fitsburgh" page- just some thoughts about healthy things/places in Pittsburgh. Hopefully I'll be updating it over time, let me know if you have any suggestions!

Note: I've got my own URL! Check it out: www.flexitalliean.com