The Connection Runners

Training starts today!

Backtracking:

I've ran a full marathon, but never a half. Last year when I trained for my 1/2 marathon I was sidelined a few weeks out with a stress fracture in my ankle. So, I'm backtracking and am starting half marathon training today. The last few weeks I've just been running to test the waters. While my IT bands still feel super tight (despite rolling/stretching) I haven't had any pain while running so I'm taking that as a green light to start training.

What race?

I mentioned several months back that I had my eye on Rock N Roll Dallas half marathon in late March. That probably won't happen, unless someone pays my entry fee and gives me a place to stay but I still want to keep that option open. Luckily for me, Felice over at The Happy Runner is hosting a Half Marathon Challenge.

Participants are training, virtually, for a half marathon together. Some are running the 13.1 NYC, and the rest of us will run locally. I'm super excited to take part in this challenge!

Training:

I've decided to follow a beginners training schedule simply because my base miles are pretty low right now coming back from an injury. My main goal is to train injury free. I plan to continue using P90x as strength and the bike as cross training. Its kind of cool going from a full to a half because I'm not at all worried about completing the distance. MAYBE I can actually focus on getting speedy.:)Another unique thing about this race is that I will be training alone. After marathon training with my husband, I'm excited to see how I do with training on my own.

What race are YOU training for?
What do you use as crosstraining?