The Connection Runners

Track Jeans: A Fitness Apparel Phenomenon

It seems like denim is showing up just about everywhere these days. I've see denim diapers and jammies, and, somehow, denim shirts are popular again.

Sidebar: The hubs has been trying to buy one for weeks (a shirt, not a diaper or a set of jammies although if GQ said those were in for fall he'd somehow find both in his size and they'd actually look good on him I'm sure). Until Dior sends models down the runway in dipes and jams, though, GQ says denim shirts are cool, but I'm still exercising my Wife Veto on this one.

While I can stomach the denim craze when it comes to cute little baby bums, tacky novelty pajamas, and maybe even on my husband (although it must be the Most Awesome Denim Shirt Ever), the buck has to stop somewhere and that somewhere is the gym.

Last night, I joined in the mass exodus of people from every nook and cranny of Livonia who stammered out of their Holiday Slumps toward the Rec Center while still wiping sugar cookie crumbs from the corner of their mouths. I knew that all of the resolution-making folks would be hot-to-trot in brand new gear raring and ready to shed those holiday pounds, but I braved the crowd anyway because I have my own six-week-long-break-from-the-gym post-Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years Eve bodily regrets to take care of.

After waiting in line for nearly 20 minutes just to renew our annual membership, I skipped upstairs to the track where I count off most of my miles in the winter. Although I knew it would be busy, I didn't expect to see so many people... wearing jeans.

By no means I am an Elitester or a Gear-a-holic, but I just have to wonder what prompts people to tackle the track in Levi's and Wranglers. I can't imagine it's for comfort; the one thing I love about the end of a day is taking my jeans off and letting my skin settle in some jammie pants (not demin ones, either.) So then I go for the next logical reason - cost. Sure, athletic apparel can be fairly expensive if you want it to be, but I'm going to assume that if you've got the moolah for a gym membership, then you can at least spring for some $7 Hanes sweatpants.

In the end, though, I suppose it all comes down to what people want, and if they want to sweat away in some non-wicking denim, so be it. At least they've gotten themselves away from the TV and to the gym, and for that I salute you, Track Jeans Wearer.