The Connection Runners

Breathe Deep

Today I'm singing a different version of one of my favorite Kings of Leon songs... .

"Yeaahhh, my chest is on fire... "

Yesterday was my last day at hospital numero uno for internal medicine. True to form (this happened to me on peds), I left the rotation feeling not too hot. It hurts to breathe in deeply (pleuritic chest pain for you medical nuts) and my body is feeling pretty achy. I bought a cute pink thermometer, but lets hope it doesn't come down to fever time.

Today I had a didactic, ungraded, "formative" exam in the AM, trust me the only thing that kept me cognizant was the fact that I was interviewing patients. Fake patients, but patients that come complete with real physical exam findings (how the heck do you fake wheezing on lung exam??) and are pretty damn good actors. Plus they fake grade me on my bedside manner, so I had "chipper face" on.

I saved sad painful breathing face for later.

In my denial stage, I loaded up on vitamins

Alright, Food Should Taste Good Lime Chips probably don't have too many vitamins, but they do live up to their label!
Fave dips:

Guac and hummus.

With a side of

and

with a splash of

Look how pretty :-)

And a little somethin somethin to pick up my mood:
Super Charged Nutella Coconut Cookies (a la Dreena)
Whole food ingredients with some fun mixed in, coconut, nanner, PB, dark chocolate, and Nutella! Not too sweet, a healthier alternative to the Chips Ahoy and that coffee shop cookie that's the size of your head ;-)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup rolled oats (I didn't have enough quick oats)
2/3 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup raisins
2 TBSP dark choc chips
1 TBSP pb chips (optional)
1 TBSP sunflower seeds
1/3 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 TBSP Nutella (or PB, almond butter, etc)
2 TBSP canola oil
1 tsp coconut extract (or vanilla)
1/2 tsp banana extract (optional)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease baking sheet.
2. Mix dry ingredients- all but flaxseed meal- (flour, oats, raisins, seeds, chocolate+PB chips, baking powder, cinnamon, coconut, sea salt) in a large bowl.
3. Mix wet ingredients- maple syrup, Nutella, canola oil, extracts, and flaxseed meal in a medium bowl.
4. Pour wet into dry, mix until combined.
5. Mold into cookie shapes. Bake at 350F for 13 mins. (per Dreena- they will get dry if you bake for more)

These cookies are just what I needed. Not a terrible amount of sugar so they are not sickeningly sweet, and they have a wholesome taste with a hint of coconut and chocolate. Perf.

Well, I'm off to continue resting on the couch. Help me wish this chest cold away!

And p.s.- I draw the line for exercise at illness from the neck down. I don't mess with chest symptoms, so I'm really hoping this goes away, like, now. Cuz girl wants to get her run on.

What do you do when you feel illness coming on? Any tips? What's your rule for exercise while you're not feeling great?