The Connection Runners

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Happy (or not) Tuesday!

Here is how I feel about no new Glee episode tonight:

I know, you'd think Fox would see this picture and radically change the television schedule due to my fantastic puppy face. No?

Anywayyy--it's Taco Tuesday! I remember these in college- we used to go to the local bar and tacos were like 50c a piece. However, being a (typically) non-meat eater, I decided to make my own version.

Here ya go-
Spicy Tofu Tacos
By spicy I mean really spicy. Like I had one taco and cried spicy. This does not take into account my baby status when in comes to spicy foods. My hubby thought they were great and ignored the tears streaming down his cheeks. Ok he didn't cry..

Ingredients
1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
1 packet of taco seasoning mix-sea salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, cane sugar, paprika, onion, garlic, black pepper, red bell pepper, oregano, chili pepper, smoked paprika (phew!)
3 TBSP nutritional yeast
1 tsp soy sauce (I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
1 TBSP lime juice
Taco shells (I used TJ's)
Toppings: tomatoes, shredded spinach, avocado hummus, light 4 cheese mexican blend

Directions:
1. Drain and press block of tofu. Crumble into "ground beef" sized pieces (preferably in a tupperware)
2. Add packet of taco seasoning, soy sauce, nutritional yeast (optional- I just like the nutritional benefits!), lime juice. Put a lid on the tupperware and shake!
3. At this point I went to the gym so I let it sit for an hour or two- I think you'd be ok cooking it right away though.
4. Grease a skillet, set stove on medium high heat. Pour tofu crumbles into skillet, "stir frying" for 5-7 minutes until warm throughout.

See the steam?
5. Allow to cool, then scoop tofu into taco shells. Top with veggies, avocado, sour cream, cheese, etc.

Looks benign, right?

My face after eating--

Haha just kidding.

My husband loved them- but he's a huge spicy foodie. I think next time I will use less taco seasoning and/or dilute w/ tomato sauce--or I will make my own taco seasoning! I have all the spices to do it, I just wanted to save time and tried the TJ's kind first. Oh well, you live and you learn (and eat black bean tacos for the rest of the night:-) ).

Off to workout so I can forget about Glee's absence in my life tonight.

(ok enough melodramatics)

SIDE NOTE: Happy 20th birthday to my bro! (not that he reads this, but it's the thought that counts ;-) ).

See ya later,
Allie