The Connection Runners

Do me a favor, Share the love

This time of year is amazing for many reasons. It is a time to spend with family, a time to reminisce on fond memories and its a time to take stock and realize how blessed we really are. My life is far from perfect. There are days when finances bring me to tears. Days when the future seems uncertain, days when I get caught up in trivial things. But, this time of year reminds me that I have a lot to be thankful for. I have a happy, healthy family, and that's worth more than words can describe.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky. People are fighting for their lives, their livelihoods,and their well being. Our fitness community is doing amazing things to reach out and help others. The number of people training for races and events in the name of charity is astounding.

I applaud their efforts, and have offered to help. Each of the following people have written a short blurb on what they are fundraising for and why. Please take a moment to read their stories. If something strikes a chord with you then take the time to support their effort.

Zen Runner:
He is running the "26.2 with Donna Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer" in Jacksonville, Fl on Feb. 13th. This marathon supports the Mayo Clinic. Here is what he had to say about it:

"My Dad received treatment for prostate cancer at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville a couple of year ago and I'm happy to report that he's fully clear and full of life at the young age of 77. So any race that supports their efforts to fight cancer and provide care - I'm all for it. Sign me up! "

You can help fight Breast Cancer by donating HERE.

Journey Beyond Survival:

"I am fundraising for my daughter. She has Rett Syndrome. She is immobile, nonverbal but can sit, think, and answer yes/no questions with her eyes. She has been recommended for a therapy dog. A dog would help with socialization, be able to stop any self harming behavior, and alert us to her needs."

You can help Evalyn receive her therapy dog by donating HERE.

Natalia:

"I am doing the Run Up the Empire State Building to raise money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, on Tuesday 1 February 2011. Over the last year I have had a colleague who passed away, another one who is in remission, and finally at our company meeting earlier this year, I heard Elijah Alexander speak, telling us how he battled this disease, and thanking us for what we do. Two months later he passed away - just like that. His spirit was amazing, as was his love for football. He told us about his life growing up in the South, in a really poor family, and what it meant to him playing in the NFL - even though he was "only the fourth round draft pick". He transmitted his love of life that day, and I felt profoundly touched.

The upcoming event means a lot to me. I usually do the Race Up Boston Place to raise money for the American Lung Association, and I also race in honour of my dad. My dad passed away a few years ago and I saw him coughing and hacking for breath. It was painful and it was an agony to watch. The Empire State Building serves a dual purpose: to support the MMRF’s mission, and to remember those who are affected by all types of cancers. Finally, I will be thinking of my dad as I run up those 1576 stairs."

You can visit her fundraising page HERE.

Patrick:

"I incorporated fundraising into my running activities for the first time this year. I ran the Ottawa Marathon and raised $250 for the Ottawa Hospital Foundation. I will be signing up for the 2011 marathon in the coming weeks (the marathon is in May) and I plan to raise funds for the hospital foundation once again. In addition to beating my time from last year, I also intend to raise more money than last year. I am hoping my blog will help promote my efforts this year. "

You can follow Patricks training and fundraising efforts HERE.

Miles,Muscles and Mommyhood:

She is raising money for Operations Jack. You can find out about her fundraising efforts (as well as fundraising related giveaways) HERE.

Debra:

"I'll be running my first half-marathon in February with Team Livestrong. I've watched 2 grandmothers, 1 grandfather, and my mother die of cancer so the cause is pretty close to my heart."

Check out her fundraising page HERE.

Thank you:

For those of you that decide to donate, I would like to THANK YOU for your kindness by offering you extra entries in my super duper Ultimate Stocking Stuffer Giveaway. You can get an extra entry for every single dollar you donate. (leave a comment on the giveaway post HERE for EACH dollar you donate)


Are YOU raising money for a cause? Tell us all about it
Does your family have any charitable traditions this time of year?