The Connection Runners

Sweet! (No, really)

Let's talk about one of my favorite things.

Sweeteners.

Here is the alluring and enticing profile of the sugars and sweeteners I have in my kitchen. They may or may not take up an entire cabinet- but that's neither here nor there.

Playing center field we've got organic agave, vanilla stevia, stevia baking blend, apple pie spice, ground cinnamon, almond extract, and honey.

1. Blue Agave- A natural sweetener that has a lower glycemic index than real sugar. It also tastes pretty darn good. I drizzle it on to salads or use it like maple syrup/honey in recipes. Agave's also used to make tequila- go figure cuz I hate the stuff!
2. Vanilla Stevia- I order this periodically from iherb.com. It's like vanilla extract w/ no alcohol or carbs. I use it in recipes and in my coffee. I love it because it has a dropper- which makes it exponentially cooler.
3. Stevia Baking Blend + Fiber- another natural sweetener, typically lower glycemic index, and typically calorie free. This baking sugar is not calorie free- but it has fiber and is delish! I only use it for baking.
4. Extracts (vanilla, almond, peppermint)- these add a little "som'n som'n" to recipes. I just recently bought and used the peppermint for Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies and almond for Choc Chip Cashew Raisin Banana Bread. I also splash these in coffee for an extra kick.
5. Maple Syrup- I use sugar free cuz I can.
(Peanut butter is in there cuz I use it a lot. Not technically a sweetener but oh well)

Playing right wing-
6. Honey- I mentioned before I'm not a big honey fan- I use a spoonful here and there in recipes but mainly drizzle it in tea. Of course when I don't have it I want it- so I always keep it on hand.
7. Strawberry Agave- Love. I used this to add a kick to recipes and in granola recipes and smoothies. It's like strawberry syrup, but all organic-like. See it in granola here. I have blueberry as well- I got both at TJ Maxx.
8. Hershey's Cocoa Powder- a recipe must. See it here and in my recent peppermint cookie recipe. Works well in brownies too.
9. Truvia- another natural sweetener, 0 calories, I have this in packets like Splenda for coffee and if something needs sweetened up a touch.

And to round it out we've got-
10. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend- it's got half the sugar of brown sugar and a little goes a long way. Love mixed in greek yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods, and granola. Yum.
11. Pumpkin Pie Spice- the LBD of baking spices. At least in the fall and winter. I used this guy so much this year that it's sadly on its last legs. Great for breads, sprinkled on sweet potato fries, and yes, I even sprinkle it in my coffee and pretend it's a $5.00 Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. Cuz I'm a poor med student and I can't afford one every day.
12. (not pictured) Cane Sugar- it's organic, it makes my baked goods fly off the plate, kind of like crack. Sometimes I wonder what's in it cuz it's so darn addictive.

Side Note: I'm not fooling myself, though--sugar is sugar. I love baking and I'll ask you to show me a baked good that tastes amazing without some sort of sweetener. Organic, lower calorie, natural, and/or low glycemic sweeteners are controversial I'm sure- but using them makes me happier about my baked goods. And you know from this blog I always balance baked goods with greens and protein. Maybe some day I'll cut sweeteners from my life, but then life wouldn't be as, well, sweet.

Christmas Shopping Update:
I've got something for mom, dad, brother, father-in-law, niece, sis-in-law, and husband's dog. And I have a plan for mother-in-law. Almost done.

Except for one kind of important person. Still trying to figure out what the eff to get my husband.

Look at that loving look! You'd think this was a candid moment caught on camera- but I'm pretty sure we posed. However, he still loved me when I pretended to be blonde. And for that, he deserves a great present.

Maybe it will come to me during the holiday party I'm going tonight. Wine makes my thoughts prolific.

At least that's what I think while I'm drinking it...

3 days til Christmas!

(And 10 days til my gym turns into a zoo)

Allie