The Connection Runners

5am

Nothing quite like leaping out of bed, putting on the running clothes I organized the night before, turning on a head torch, and heading out into the darkness. That was today's run.

I haven't done a 5am run since the summer, and with the kids on vacation and unwilling to skip my run, up and out I went. It was cold but no wind, so actually enjoyable weather. My Garmin wasn't charged, but I did the Goose Point loop so ran about 6. It felt great. Lots more 5am runs in my future, that is certain.

Taekwondo testing was Saturday, and I received my blue belt. Very proud of that. Technically speaking, I am half way to black belt. Breaking went well, but I tweaked my right calf a bit - in my very last sparring session I felt a pull midway up my calf, similar to the hamstring twinge I felt during mile 8 of the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. Knew it wasn't too serious, but a big component to successfully completing my 12 month marathon challenge is to remain in good health. I iced it, rested, and decided it was well enough to run this morning. Felt fine, but to counter any future potential calf (and achilles!) troubles, I purchased a pair of calf compression sleeves, the sort ultra runners wear. And speaking of ultras, my ugly black big toenail I managed to mangle at the 12 hour this past summer finally fell off. Lovely, I know, but all part of the journey.

While running this morning I recalled last week's Roxbury Marathon. As I've already mentioned, it was a rough one, and a 4:21 finish bruised my ego a bit. Granted, it was a challenging course, and the brief stretches where I had to walk really bothered me - but then my thoughts turned back to that muggy morning in August, 2009 when my sister Amy asked me to go for a run.

Although I'd been doing Taekwondo for about three months, I was still in rather poor shape. I was about 40 lbs heavier back then, and didn't even have proper running shoes - all I had at the time were Merrell hiking shoes. I agreed, then when she arrived I had second thoughts. We went anyway.

Her encouragement - insistance, actually - in getting me out the door was nothing short of a life-changing moment. We all have those moments, when one decision, good or bad, can have a dramatic impact and alter the course of your life. Going on a sweaty 5 mile run with her in the Pequonnock Valley was one such moment. About a quarter mile into that run I felt like a new man. So what if I had to walk a few hills in my fourth marathon (five if you count the ultra) of 2010? All I can say is thank you Amy.