The Connection Runners

It's Christmas Time (?)

Since college, Christmas sneaks up on me every year.

In high school, you countdown to Christmas break, you make your Christmas list at Thanksgiving dinner, and you wear socks with jingle bells (or maybe that was just me?).

The pattern for the last few years has been study, study, study, neglect Christmas shopping until December 24th, make it home for Christmas in the nick of time, and worry about the next class I'll be starting on January 3rd.

I've always loved Christmas, but I hardly ever feel ready, as the "holiday spirit" comes along with, well, spirit. It's hard to get psyched about Christmas when your agenda involves pouring over a textbook for 10 hours a day.

Xmas 07

Xmas 08

Xmas 09

This year I'm trying to get into the Christmas spirit.

Aka we put up our Christmas tree 2 weeks ago and I've been singing my favorite Christmas carols around the house, and loudly in the car. (Sorry hubby).

And I baked. With peppermint. This totally counts.

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
An airy mix of chocolate and peppermint- these are a great holiday treat for parties and family dinner. Or in my case, the doctor's office I'm working in.
(Recipe adapted from Ohsheglows Vegan Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies)

Dry
2 1/4 cups spelt flour (or whatever you have)
5 TBSP cocoa powder
1 TBSP flaxseed meal (or another TBSP cocoa powder)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup cane and 1/4 cup stevia)
Wet
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup agave (or maple syrup)
2 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil (I used Smart Balance)

Mix in
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a medium sized baking sheet.
2. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl and dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry. Mix, mix, mix. Fold in chocolate chips. (add a splash of milk if batter is too dry).
4. Mold into cookie shapes (I spooned 1 TBSP of batter, then flattened w/ the bottom of a glass).
5. Bake at 350F for 11 minutes.

Your house will smell like Christmas. Serve w/ Trader Joe's Candy Cane Green Tea. Enjoy your wonderfully clear sinuses.

(PS-on an unrelated note, I saw Black Swan this weekend. It was equal parts thrilling and disturbing. I'd highly recommend it. Although probably not for a first date.)

Countdown to Christmas, 6 days.

Here's to Christmas spirit (and clear sinuses),

Allie