The Connection Runners

Decisions, Decisions

Today I made a pretty big decision that I'm really excited for..

I signed up to run..

The Pittsburgh Half Marathon!
May 15, 2011


This will be my first half! The first year I was in Pittsburgh I signed up but had a knee injury a week before the race. Last year was my grandma's 75th birthday. And this year I will be on the front end of my surgery rotation- but I didn't want to wait another year. I'm doing it :-). I would love to train for a marathon but I've got medicine and surgery rotations coming up and I'm not sure how much time I'll really have to run. And I think it will be nice to run a half before a full :-).

Now on to other less interesting things...

Like last night's dinner! I decided to put a spin on one of my favorite easy dinners- Black Bean Burgers.

Cranberry Goat Cheese Stuffed Black Bean Burgers
(n Sweet Tater Fries) (a la KathEats)
Few ingredients, filled with taste, and super simple to make.
Win, win! Recipe makes 1 patty- I made 2.
Ingredients:
1/3 cup black beans, rinsed (reserve some liquid)
1 TBSP flour
pinch chili powder
scant shredded carrots
crumbled goat cheese (I used cranberry)

Directions:
1. Pour 1/3 cup of black beans into a bowl/on a plate with TBSP flour.
2. Mash together (mash mash mash!) with a fork/potato masher/your hands- it gets pretty dry so you may need to add some water or reserved black bean juice.
3. Add/ mash in spices/veggies of your choice. I had chili powder and shredded carrots- but you can do onions, peppers, corn, cayenne, etc.
4. Separate the mash into two small bean balls (insert joke here) and flatten them out. Crumble goat cheese onto one of the halves, then top with the other half. Flatten into a patty.

5. "Grill" on a skillet set on medium high heat. I did for ~3-4 minutes on each side.

One for me and one for hubs

6. Serve!

Hubs- with salsa con queso, lettuce, tomato, ketchup

Mine- he ate the burger before the fries were ready. I waited :-)

I made sweet potato "fries" with these

I guess it's cheating but it saves me a lot of time peeling and dicing! Sprayed w/ coconut oil and sprinkled with sea salt and cinnamon, bake 20 minutes at 400F, "stir" and cook for 10 more minutes. Yum.

And there you have it- my running revelation and my idea of "fast food" all in one foul swoop.

Now stuff it! (the bean burgers of course ;-) ).

What big decisions have you made recently? (Marathon vs. half, fast food vs. home cooked... )