The Connection Runners

Bet you didn't know THAT!

Tired of hearing me talk about health and fitness? Then today's post is for YOU. I thought I'd change things up a little bit and just tell you ten things you probably didn't know about me.

1. I met my husband on myspace.*collective gasp* We talked online for 2 months while he was in Iraq. He came home on mid-tour leave and we got engaged 3 DAYS after we met in person. The next day he flew back to Iraq and I didn't see him again for 6 months. The day he came home for good we caught a flight to Vegas and were married within 24 hours. So technically we were married on the 5th day we knew each other in person. (Remind me to tell you all about our Vegas adventure one day)

2. I played tennis in high school. I LOVED it, obsessed over it and had dreams of "making it big" in the tennis world. Then my junior year I tore my right ACL, meniscus and chipped off a piece of my femur while playing tennis. Apparently I was a pretty aggressive player. I rehabbed like crazy and went back to playing, but it wasn't ever the same. To this day I have a hard time going "balls to the walls" in tennis for fear of re injury. You can see the lovely scar on my right knee is this pic:

3. I read super fast and I read a lot. Right now I average about a book a day, but before I had my son it was more than that. Thank goodness for the library. I only feel slightly guilty admitting MOST of those books are romance novels. :) The rest are biography,autobiography,health and suspense.

4. I am a worrier. Do I get this from my mother? My grandmother? I don't know. I DO know that I only notice it now that I'm a mother. I stress and obsess over the well being of my son. Am I setting a good example? Am I too strict? Not strict enough? Is he eating enough? Is it ok for him to eat a pound of strawberries at a time? And of course I stress over sun exposure which is why my 2 year old comes very close to being fully clothed at the pool.

5. We only own one TV. Just the one in the living room, no TV watching in the bedrooms. This is a hard and fast rule in my house and I refuse to change it.

6. I wear a charm bracelet. Most of the charms are James Avery and they represent significant events in my life,most are engraved on the bottom with the date the event happened. Next I'm hoping to add some motivational running charms from The Silver Maple.

7. I got a tattoo on the top of my foot when I was 21. I don't regret getting it, but I DO get tired of people asking me what it says. Seriously, doesn't anybody know Latin anymore? :)

8. I am super frugal. I wasn't always so cheap though. When I was single and on my own I was pretty extravagant. Like: I'd pay someone to do my hair before a date so I wouldn't have to mess with it. Or: I liked the way jeans looked brand new... .so I bought a new pair each week. And: its possible there were times I threw away pans because I was too lazy to scrub them when food baked on. Now however, I can't imagine doing any of those things. I am an avid coupon clipper who hasn't had a hair cut or trim in over a year. And when I was losing weight I wouldn't buy new clothes even when they were falling off of me. Luckily my sweet mother took pity on me and rectified that situation.

9. I drive a BIG truck, and its not just because I'm from Texas. I KNOW its bad for the environment, but I just don't feel safe in anything else. Several years ago I totaled my boss' car. I slammed headfirst into a steel light pole. It was a Maxima. I obviously lived through the accident, but lets just say I wasn't looking too pretty afterwards. I'm convinced things would've been better if I had been driving my truck at the time. So I will continue to drive a gas guzzler, but to offset the cost and environmental hazards, I drive it very little. My son and I walk to the park, to the pool, to my husbands work and to the library. I usually manage to go all week without having to drive anywhere.

10. I am extremely stressed right now. We have a lot of life decisions we are working on making as a family. My husband is supposed to get out of the Army in a few months and we are wavering on whether or not to reenlist. We've been lucky because he has been non-deployable for the past 3 years (after serving two tours in Iraq). However, if he reenlists there is no guarantee. He has been applying for civilian jobs in the Austin area, hoping to end up near my family. The job market is scary right now and I'm terrified to leave the security of the Army. However, now that we have a son I just don't want to have to worry about going through another deployment. But is that worse than being jobless? Decisions, decisions. Pray for us.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!