The Connection Runners

Its time to clarify

I need to clear up a few things from last weeks, THATS healthy?!?! post. People had mixed opinions on that post, I loved reading what everyone had to say. However, after reading some of the comments I realized that some people either missed what I was saying or I didn't explain myself well enough.

Just to recap, Parents Magazine posted an article titled "7 Healthy Grab and Go Snacks". I was surprised to see the "healthy" snacks listed were a bunch of packaged/processed snacks.

I was in no way totally condemning all those snacks. I do live a life of moderation. I think *real*, fresh foods are best but that doesn't mean I never eat packaged food. I do. Like I said, I look at those as TREATS and treats are perfectly fine in moderation. And I think it is valid to say some of those snacks are better for you than a lot of "junk food", but that wasn't the point of the article.

The article was directed towards busy moms on the go, and it described all those sugary snacks as "healthy". That key word is what threw me off about the whole article.

You see, not too long ago I WAS a mom who searched and scoured magazines and websites looking for some advice on how to get control of my life. I was miserable and desperate for an answer.

I was bombarded by ads and commercials featuring so called "diet" food. I THOUGHT I could lose weight and get healthy by buying "100 calorie packs" and chocolate covered granola bars and sugary yogurt. I *thought* losing weight meant eating "diet" food.

In fact, for awhile I thought "healthy" food and "diet" food was the same thing. I thought the terms were interchangeable. I thought if something was "low calorie" it was good for you. And so I filled up on the processed, packaged junk losing a little weight here and there, but not truly improving my health.

It took a leap of faith on my part to give up the gimmicks and eat REAL food, fresh food, food that NATURE created. Combine that with exercise and I turned my life around.

So I get a little miffed when I see "articles" suggesting that processed, sugar snacks are HEALTHY. I think of other mothers out there reading it and rushing off to the grocery store to buy that miracle bar that's going to help them lose weight. I think of those women being mislead and it makes me sad.

I think media needs to be more responsible when dispensing health advice, and WE need to be more informed as consumers.

Have YOU ever fallen for the "low calorie" equals "healthy" fad?
Are you influenced by the medias idea of healthy?

Want a free water filtration system? You can win one by clicking HERE.