The Connection Runners

Time to (Tea) Party?

I don't understand much about politics, but like most Americans I'm very willing to give all of my views on politics. There are many things about the political arena that I just don't understand. Most things, I chalk up to as being 'swayed by interest groups' or dealing in 'partisan bickering'. But a recent phenomenon that I do not at all understand is the Tea Party.

I used to think they were just a group of disenfranchised individuals that didn't think that government was working for them. Certainly, that makes sense to me in an era when it seems like issues are sculpted by privately held, organized interest rather than individuals. However, the more I read about these people and what they believe, the less consistent of a movement it seems to be.

Just read this article. What is going on? Calling for smaller government, while looking for government jobs, while on government social nets? ok.

Well, whatever these people believe in and as crazy and inconsistent as it sounds to me, at least they're out there taking a stand and voicing their opinions. This doesn't mean that I think all ideas are created equal or that bad ideas should be entertained just as seriously as good ideas. I do think the dialogue that may ensue from having people state their views publicly will refine these ideas or show them to be completely untenable. And that, whatever its worth, is worth something.