The Connection Runners

Why?

If you decide to read this, thanks! I appreciate it. I'm going to explain why I decided to write a blog in the first place, since I think that most bloggers are not doing anything worthwhile besides filling up 'the series of tubes' with useless, and rather self-important ramblings. In that same vein, there are several reasons that I decided to write a blog.
(1) I'm probably something of a narcissist and need some sort of outlet.
(2) I would like to share my adventures, whether running or law. It is my hope, and an ambitious one, that I can start a dialogue with others - whether runners, lawyers, or others - who feel the same way I do (viz. those who need some sort of release from the daily grind)
(3) Although I enjoy running and I like to run for myself, I plan on using this blog to, in some way, track my training and provide information to those people who donate to the charities that I run for.

I hope that this blog is not merely a log of how much I'm running and what I think about while running. Most of the time, I bore myself when running - so why would anyone want to actually read what I'm thinking? Additionally, there is a proliferation of runners who blog and they're probably much better runners who have much better information, tips, etc.

So a little about myself:
I began running several years ago, for no real reason other than having a goal to accomplish. I was, at that time, working as an AmeriCorps member in Denver and I decided to run the Colfax Marathon. Since that time, I've ran several marathons and a few ultramarathons (50 milers).

I began law school in 2008, and while I think that law is a venerable field that has exposed me to many opportunities, I am also conflicted about law school (and the profession at large). I was always fairly active before starting law school, but since starting I have pushed myself to run farther than I ever had before. I don't think it is a mere coincidence that the more time I spend in a self-confined prison pouring over arcane law texts (that is, law school), the more I desire to be outside running, biking, climbing, or anything else outside.

Don't get me wrong: it is not law that bothers me. Law provides us with a set of rules and guidelines to live by and lawyers are some of the most hardworking, upstanding, and creative individuals I've met. Law provides a power to help others, as well as exercise and expand the rights that we are blessed to live with. My problem with law is being confined to a building, a constant fixation on the minutiae, as well as the prospect of doing this my entire life. The upside is that I have been inspired to get out and live (the irony of sitting inside and writing about it doesn't go unnoticed). I worry about this profession that I've chosen because the data indicates that many lawyers are unhappy. It isn't the work per se. It is the hours that lawyers work. I hope that in my spare time, I can tell my story, connect with others, and hopefully find a balance between studying/practicing and life.

Feel free to post, comment, and share your own stories. Once again, thanks for reading.