The Connection Runners

This is real life

While I have been blessed to lose a lot of weight over the last 11 months (113 pounds down), I don't think of this as a "weight loss" blog. That being said, there are still times where I have to remind myself I'm not simply trying to lose weight, my main focus is living a healthy life.

My birthday created a bit of a conflict in my mind. I wrote THIS POST around Thanksgiving about not celebrating with food. We planned the whole day around family time instead of around a large meal. I was so proud of our healthy choice and new tradition. I even ran the Jingle Bell 5K on Saturday as an early birthday celebration.

Then my actual birthday came around and guess how I wanted to celebrate? By going to dinner with friends. How contradictory.

But it got me thinking. Was eating food what I was really looking forward to? No, it was getting out of the house and visiting with friends. Could I do that somewhere other than a restaurant? Yes.

But does eating out mean I've fallen off track? I don't think so. The more I think about it, the more it may have been a success. Let me explain.

One of my favorite restaurants is the Cheesecake Factory. I know all about their bad wrap for huge portions and high calories, but I love the atmosphere. Having a 2 year old along means that the few times we do eat out are usually at very casual restaurants. The Cheesecake Factory has a slightly more "date atmosphere" while still being appropriate for my child. Sometimes you just want to look nice and go out with your friends.

As far as the meal goes, I ordered grilled Mahi Mahi corn tortilla tacos, topped with tons of cabbage. There was no inner "order the grilled fish, its better for you" dialogue. It's actually what I wanted because it's delicious. I stopped eating before I got full and packed the rest up to take home. I drank nothing but water, again because thats what I wanted. And then when it came time to order dessert... .I did. :)

Yes, that is a picture of me and the kiddo eating Red Velvet Cheesecake.

(I don't think he was too thrilled we were asking him to stop eating that whipped cream to take a pic.)

Let me tell you, the cake was delicious. I enjoyed sharing it with the little one, and I stopped when I had enough. I left half on the plate and didn't even bring it home with us.

Did I leave half to save calories? Nope, I stopped eating simply because I had satisfied my sweet tooth.

I thought about the meal on the way home. I thought about how I would have to go on here and "admit" to celebrating with food, but darn it I just couldn't find a reason to feel bad.

THIS IS REAL LIFE PEOPLE. I'm not on a "diet", I'm living my healthy life. I made decent choices without even having to think about them. I've always "preached" moderation, not deprivation. I don't think I failed at all. In fact, I deem the whole night a success.

What do you think? Am I just rationalizing?

And don't forget to enter my giveaway. (click here)