The Connection Runners

Wicked 5k Race Recap

Happy Halloween!

While I still enjoy it today, Halloween was much more fun as a kid. Halloween parties at school, trick-or-treating at night, endless supplies of candy to munch on for months (and back then it didn't go straight to my hips).

These days, the holiday's a bit different. I spend most of the day wrangling in my sugared-up students as I try to get them to focus on something inevitably not cool. Yeah, I know. I rank right up there with Mr. Feeney on the cool-teacher scale.

At night, I usually pick up something quick for dinner, Kevin builds a bonfire, and we sit in our driveway with blankets and cold beers as we pass out over 400 pieces of candy to neighborhood kids. Our neighborhood gets packed with little zombies and goblins, and parents and neighbors are out in full force. It's a good night in a good community.

But I always kind of miss dressing up, so I was excited yesterday when we got to don costumes to run the Plymouth Wicked 5k/10k Run.

And we went as...

Juno and Paulie from the movie Juno, complete with real-life baby bump.

And yeah, Kevin's shorts really were that short. I kid you not: the costume competition judges eyed him suspiciously when he approached their tent. I'm not sure if they believed he was really wearing them or not.

In addition to dressing up, we did this race with about half of my family - an aunt, my sister, brother-in-law, mom, and two nephews.

I only snapped one family photo of little Jake, my almost-2-year-old nephew who cheered us on with his Diansaurness, but you can see some of the fam in yesterday's Baby Shower post, too.

While they walked/ran the 5k race in the chilly 29-degree weather, Kevin and I ran in the 10k and 5k races, respectively.

The costumes must have paid off, especially for Kevin, as we both ran great races.

Kevin finished the 10k in 44:25, a PR for him! Must've been the shorts. Magical, I tell you. His time put him at 8/46 in his AG.

Once he was done, he doubled back to the 5k route and ran the last .5 miles of it with me. I'd gone out a bit fast in the opening mile - in the 9:20's... ahem, what?? - and was feeling tired, so I was happy to see his goofball face at that point.

He pulled me along to the finish line, and I clocked in at 30:56, good enough for a 26/109 AG finish. My goal was to finish between 30 and 33 minutes, so I was uber-happy with the time, especially considering I was carrying along a 29-week pregnant belly.

Keeping with the family theme, Megan brought her Runner/WalkerFamily to the race, too. We bloggers dig running, and we really dig running with family.

PR's were the name of the game there, as well, as Megan, her boyfriend Ryan, and dad all ran/walked new PR's in the 10k and 5k walk. Pretty amazing!

And, if there wasn't enough coincidence in this post already, Megan, her brother, and Kevin all finished 8th in their age groups. Perhaps we should start playing #8 in the lottery?

I also got to meet Jeff from Detroit Runner although we didn't snap a photo. I just kind of creeped up on him in the 10k start corral and said "Hi." Next time! Also, Rose from Hacker Half Marathon ran the race, but I missed out on meeting her completely. One of these days I'll be a good blogger and say hello!

Hope you all have a spooktacular Halloween!

Did anyone else race this weekend? If not, please tell me you snacked on massive amounts of Halloween candy as I did?