The Connection Runners

One more to go!

My final 26.2 is tomorrow!

ph_ING_HM_homepage_2011a

Truth be told, I don't want this to end. It's been incredible fun, especially the anticipation aspect of each race. I enjoy the feeling of being 'in training' for a year straight, and the constant diligence of running regularly and maintaining a proper diet has paid some nice dividends - I'm a comfortable 168 lbs these days after breaking the 175 plateau, where I was for most of the summer. In fact, I checked my training log and was actually in the low 180's for my winter races 4-5-6 (Jan Miami/Feb Hyannis/Mar Atlanta). Lighter = faster, so let's see if I can put that theory into practice.

In reviewing the Hartford course, it starts/finishes at Bushnell Park and doesn't seem to be too hilly - a few undulations in the early miles and a gradual decline in elevation between miles 15-20 should be welcome because that is when I usually begin to tire. I'll be ready for a rise around mile marker 24, but the final stretch is downhill so hopefully I can empty the tank for my final charge to the finish.

Weather is looking low 50's at the 8:00am start, most likely dry but windy. Gloves early on will be a must.

So this is it! What began as a wild idea that occurred to me during an early morning run back in September 2010 is almost over. Eleven marathons down, and each one has been a truly memorable experience.

At the Vermont City Marathon back in May I remember seeing a bumper sticker in the expo parking lot that said "The best things in life aren't things" and next to it was a 26.2 sticker. Simple as it sounds, it resonated with me. It's the experiences you have, surrounded by the people you truly care about, that I've come to value the most.

I will cross that finish line tomorrow a better person.