The Connection Runners

A little story about silver linings

I had something completely different planned for today, but something just happened that I HAVE to share.

This morning I was scheduled for a root canal. I've been in terrible pain, and while I wasn't looking forward to the procedure, I was looking forward to being able to sleep at night. I woke up super early, woke Dash up super early, delivered him to my mom to watch and drove to Round Rock (nearby city) to get my root canal.

When I got there the front desk informed me the endodontist had gone out of town and somehow they forgot or neglected to call and let me know. I calmly told them I understand people make mistakes, I'd be willing to see another doctor. They let me know there weren't any other dentists/endodontists that could do the procedure. The best they could do for me was schedule it for the 1st week of July when the guy gets back.

To say I was a little upset is an understatement. I'm proud of myself for being very calm with them, but as soon as I walked out I burst into tears. I don't want to wait a couple more weeks. I can't imagine continuing losing sleep over this tooth. I hurt. For anyone following my twitter, I appreciate you hanging around listening to my teary tweets.

After I collected myself I started making calls and was able to get an appointment at a different place this afternoon. Hopefully they can do the procedure and not just the consultation. We shall see.

In the mean time, Dash was still at my moms so I decided the luxury of a child free trip to the grocery store was too great to pass up. I shopped and enjoyed myself and my quiet time. When I came out I loaded my groceries into the truck and put my shopping cart in the cart return. When I came back to my truck I noticed a little old lady was finishing up unloading her groceries so I walked over and offered to take her cart to the cart return for her. She thanked me, and off I went.

When I got back to my truck her husband asked "Are you associated with the Army?". (I have an army sticker on my truck) I let him know my husband is in the Army and then the most amazing thing happened:

He straightened himself up to his full height, and saluted me.

I'll be honest, it brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to hug him. To receive that gesture of respect from a veteran, was an honor. I thanked him and he went on to thank ME and my husband for our service. I of course thanked him for his service and we went our separate ways.

I'm sitting here reflecting on the moment. This morning was rough, but if it hadn't happened I never would've been at that grocery store. I would've missed out on an amazing experience.

Silver lining indeed.