The Connection Runners

Back... With a Sunland Peanut Butter Review

I'm back! I enjoyed the weekend at JHU and now it's back to... nothing. For a week at least :-). What do I have planned for the week off? A whole lot of Sex and the City re-runs, watching the royal wedding coverage until my face turns blue, sleeping, and running (hello the Pittsburgh Half is in 2 weeks!). I know, I live a glamorous life.
This weekend I forgot my camera (cardinal FAIL), so this is all I got.

Dress from www.urbanoutfitters.com, boots on sale from www.stevemadden.com

Hubby at his alumni rugby game (he scored!)

I wear my sunglasses... during the day

Dress from www.urbanoutfitters.com, blazer Target

We arrived home last night and I was beyond excited to see a box containing these...

As I mentioned here, I was given the opportunity to choose 3 jars of Sunland Peanut Butter's unique product to review for the blog. Sunland uses valencia peanuts in their nut butters (which I didn't realize are a legume, not a nut!) which according to Sunland's website are sweeter, with a more intense flavor It took a little while to receive the nut butters because one of the flavors was temporarily out of stock, but the wait was worth it!
Here's the play-by-play:

1. Banana: Hands down my favorite of the three. I absolutely love bananas, and this did not disappoint. It lived up to the name of "creamy Banana spread", it had a distinctive and light banana flavor (not at all fake!), and I've already eaten a good 1/4 of the jar... with my fingers. The possibilities for baking with this spread are endless..but we'll get to what I did in a second.

2. Cherry Vanilla: I thought this would be the flavor I liked the least (it was hubby's request)- but it came in a close second place! The initial flavor is a very subtle nutty vanilla, but it quickly morphed on my tongue into a delicious cherry aftertaste.The taste was very unique and I will be creating a recipe based on it (maybe a little berries and cinnamon action?) sometime during my week off :-).

3. Dark Chocolate: Just because this came in third does not mean it wasn't delicious- The dark chocolate is also very subtle, and the peanut butter is not overly sweet- which is how I like it! It is drippy and creamy, perfect for drizzling on yogurt or blending in smoothies (which I certainly will be doing).

Overall, I find that Sunland peanut butter was creamy, smooth, slightly sweet, with subtle flavors that were not overpowering and will be perfect in recipes. Like this one:
Sunland Peanut Butter Cups
I'm on a week off. These are as easy as 1..2..3. And they're delicious.
Two flavor options: Dark Chocolate Banana and Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate.
Recipe from Love Veggies and Yoga


Ingredients:
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or PB chips for the PB version)
2 TBSP Sunland peanut butter
1/2 TBSP nutritional yeast (nooch)

Directions:
1. Melt 1/4 cup chocolate (or PB chips) for ~ 1 minute in the microwave. Spoon chocolate into 2 muffin liners.

2. Mix filling- 2 TBSP peanut butter w/ 1/2 TBSP nooch (or sea salt, honey, agave, vanilla, etc to taste).Empty a spoonful of mixture onto chocolate.

3. Melt the other 1/4 cup of chocolate for 1 min. Spoon mixture onto pb filling.

4. Garnish with nuts, seeds, coconut, or candies and place in the refrigerator for ~1 hr to harden.

5. Enjoy.

Hubby's response to these?
"Are you serious?? WHAT ARE THESE and how many do we have? They'll be gone by tonight."

And there you have it. Thank you SO MUCH Sunland PB for letting my try your delicious peanut butter, I look forward to enjoying it on toast, waffles, and in recipes.