The Connection Runners

Seven Mile Shin Splints & Seventy-Five Degree Weather

9 days.
216 hours.
12, 960 minutes.

That's how long I've been work-free lately. But, sadly, that is coming to a close today.

Luckily, though, after several days of barfy weather that could make even Eeyore depressed, the lameness finally gave way, and we Michiganders were given a whole day of gorgeous spring summer-like weather.

I forgot what it feels like to actually sweat because it's warm out as I'm so used to sweating due to the many layers of fleece and Nike dri-fit material. Gross. But, hey, today's sweat was well worth it.

When I stepped outside for today's long, slow run of a mere seven miles (we're on a training reduction week, yay!), it didn't take me long to realized that I'd overdressed. A long-sleeved mockneck was total overkill for a run in this kind of weather:

But, whatever. I was just so happy to feel sunshine on my face that I ran a 9:39 pace overall and still felt mostly pretty good after.

I say mostly pretty good because I started out with a mean case of Shin Splintz.

Shin Splintz (according to Dr. Web MD): can cause dull, aching pain in the front of the lower leg [... ] the pain may be located along either side of the shinbone or in the muscles. Some people feel it only during exercise; others, when they've stopped exercising. Sometimes, the pain is constant.

Megan's Bottom Line Layman's Terms: Shin Splintz suck. They are a fairly common problem for runners and athletes and are really only treated through rest, ice, and common drugs like Tylenol. While they are painful enough to cause discomfort, one can't do much else other than suck it up and run through it.

So that's what I did today. I awkwardly galloped along through the first half, trying to find a comfortable, somewhat normal gait that would accommodate my Shin Splintz. Not successful.

I tromped through the miles, meeting up with Kevin around mile 3 to exchange stories of Overheating Woe, and then made it back home without too much a problem, albeit in some pain.

Whatever. I'm going to suck it up since... ::drum roll please:: ... we are officially in the Less-Than-One-Month-Until-Kalamazoo-26.2 Countdown!

::3-4 pieces of confetti rain down on Megan::

The official number? 27 days to go!

If this weather keeps up, keeping on track with the training schedule should be no problem, Shin Splintz or no Shin Splintz.

Megan Wants to Know... How does the weather affect your training outdoors?