The Connection Runners

MindFULLness

So far I've logged my food and exercise for 3 days and I'm surprised at how helpful it is! Back when I was working in child obesity research, I logged my food and activity every day--something we encouraged the kids to do. I didn't want to be a hypocrite, so I downloaded the Lose It! app and bet my mentor I could log my food for a whole month. He scoffed at me- saying it would be impossible. I actually logged my food for close to 8 months before I decided that I'd gotten a handle on my usual calorie count and nutritional breakdown.
I also wore a BodyMedia armband (kind of like the BodyBugg the contestants wear on the Biggest Loser) for about a week- it took into account your age, weight, height, etc. and helped to keep track of exercise, calories burned, and sleep habits (among other parameters). It was a bulky, expensive piece of equipment- but oh was it cool.

Keeping an eye on my food intake (and comparing it to when I used to log) has shown me that my eating habits really haven't changed too much in the past few years, I've just been eating larger portions and indulging a bit more than before. My daily avgs so far this week have been 30% Fat, 45% Carbs, 25% Protein. About where I want to be--maybe a little less fat, a little more carb, and a little more protein. I've been very mindful of hunger and satiety signals. Overall my sodium intake is well below the recommended daily 2,300 mg, and fiber ~30 g/day. I've also exercised for ~1 hr-1.5 hrs every day this week.
I honestly think that being mindful and writing things down makes you more motivated to eat healthfully and go to the gym. Just my little theory.

Do you log your food/exercise?
________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, reminder about my Chocomize Giveaway. The gist:
This is the first Nutty FlexitALLIEan GIVEAWAY.

Here's what you need to do:
1. Go to Chocomize website, then post a comment with 3 ingredients you would add to your chocomize bar.
2. If you have a blog/facebook/twitter- mention the giveaway and link back to www.flexitalliean.com
3. Become a follower of the Nutty FlexitALLIEan on blogger or twitter.
4. Let me know you did so in the comments- each step gives you one entry.

I will randomly pick one winner who will receive a free chocomize chocolate bar each month- depending on how chocomize sends it to me (all at once or once a week) I'll give you a choice of which one you want. Last day to enter is Saturday. I'll randomly pick a winner early next week. Good luck!