The Connection Runners

Fueling your body

What a difference a week can make!

For those who have been following my achilles travails, I am pleased to report that after taking a week off of running, I did a 4.24 mi run (8:04 pace) on Tuesday, and an 8 miler this morning (8:15 pace). Both runs my achilles felt stable and pain-free, so I am remarkably encouraged by that. Feel like a kid on Christmas morning to run without discomfort!

Also had two fantastic Taekwondo classes this week, Monday was intense and last night was a solid 30 minutes of contact sparring. (90 second timed rounds - for example, going full throttle for 2 rounds, then you take a 90 sec rest, 2 rounds then a 90 sec rest, etc.) My calf felt decent, but I am still mindful of it.

I worked up a furious sweat - nothing, and I mean nothing, will get your heart rate going like sparring. Your senses are heightened, looking to throw a kick but at the same time continually sizing up your opponent, trying to calculate his strategy and avoid his moves. Bruce Lee had a great quote: "Boards don't hit back!" So true. So while pummeling a heavybag and smacking pads are fun, technique-building and exhilarating, there really is no substitute for going mano-a-mano with someone else to keep you, literally, on your toes.

So now that I am getting healthy again and back on track, one big question I have that I am still unsure of is this: am I fueling myself properly?

How much is enough? I just don't know. Though I have lost 50 lbs, I am not a 'calorie counter' per se - but did find the Weight Watchers Points system to be effective in gauging portion control and understanding the importance of dietary fiber. A while back I posted a clipping from Men's Health about Jason Statham, and how he adheres to a strict limit of 2,000 calories per day, max. But with six more marathons ahead of me plus all of the training miles in between, I am trying to figure out what approach to take - 2K probably won't cut it, but I don't want to overdo it either and start justifying that extra slice of pizza and sabotaging my success on account of being an 'endurance athlete'.

I've cut out red meat to a once a month, post-marathon indulgence, and retrained my way of looking at how I shop (all organic) and try to buy locally grown produce - good first steps. Fresh fruit with Greek yogurt is a staple, as is my morning breakfast of either McCann's steel cut oatmeal with rasins and walnuts OR an egg white omelet on a whole grain bagel and a banana. So breakfast is easy. It's the rest of the day that is the challenge.

In my efforts to shed those final few pounds and really solidify my core/midsection, I am really torn between following a lower-carb, fruit and veggie intensive diet (with an emphasis on lean protein, especially wild, sustainably-caught cold water fish dense in Omega-3's) while eating enough carbs to keep me going as I continue to rack up the miles.

A good example of that is the dish below - Roasted Wild Halibut with Braised Baby Bok Choy, Sauteed Cauliflower, and Steamed Asparagus. MMA Welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre eats a veggie-laden plate with just enough protein to replenish his muscles post-workout, and fortunately I LOVE veggies.

That said, with my achilles on the mend I am ramping up my running again this week and still unsure just how much carbohydrates my body needs for a sufficient fuel supply. I'm sort of caught in between the desire to remain low-carb, but need to consume enough calories to give my body the right amount of fuel to burn.

But I also LOVE pasta. Being Italian, for years it has been my go-to meal, but I have now reduced it to one night a week, and will only have it twice if I am doing a longish run (more than 13+) the following day. I make a different dish every time, with the exception of my favorite pre-race meal: Spaghetti alla Carbonara.

The key is using the best ingredients possible - farm fresh eggs, genuine Parmigano Reggiano, and good pancetta (in addition to adding amazing flavor the saltiness of the pancetta is ideal for water retention on raceday).

Some other pasta favorites are :

Spaghetti with Dungeness Crab, Jalapeno and Minced Scallion (idea courtesy of chef Mark Ladner of Del Posto):

Rigatoni with Cauliflower and Walnuts:

Bucatini alla Puttanesca:

Spaghetti alla Vongole:

Pappardelle with lobster in a tomato, shallot, cognac and herb butter sauce:

Rigatoni with shrimp and broccoli:

Schiaffoni alla Vodka:

Cooking, like running and Taekwondo, are passions. I believe that if you are passionate about something, your talent and skill will shine through. They are relaxing, stress releasing endeavors that I do during my free time. Like anything in this world, the more you do them, the more proficient you will become - but most importantly, you do them with enthusiasm and joy because of the happiness they bring you.

So if any of you have any suggestions for a recommended caloric intake/diet strategy for an (almost!) 40 yr old, 178lb. guy looking to drop those last 10 who runs anywhere from 26.2 to 50 miles a week and does 3 hrs of martial arts a week, feel free to let me know!