The Connection Runners

Hoppenin' Weekend

Happy Easter (to those who celebrate)!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend. This weekend the parentals came to visit, and naturally this meant we didn't go hungry.

But first, backing up to Friday night, hubs and I met up with some friends at Mad Mex, then went bowling (seriously one of my favorite activities!).

Saturday my parents arrived and we hit up BRGR Bar for some monster burgers and fries. Mom and Dad both got the Tree Hugger, so I tried the Salmon Burger (and wasn't disappointed).

Then we obviously hit up Razzy Fresh. Obviously.
Before:

Meets After:

Done.

Then we went to see the movie Arthur. To be honest, it was slow at times but tried desperately to have a heart. I actually love Russell Brand so I would call the movie mildly entertaining.

We walked around a bit then headed downtown to Sharp Edge for a brew and, well, some more food.

Then we headed home and I watched William and Kate: The Lifetime Original Movie. It really was godawful, but hubby was conked out on the couch and it was probably the only time I'd get to watch it ;-).

This morning we woke up early and hit up Square Cafe for Easter Brunch. Starting with a strawberry banana nutella crepe...

Mom was really hungry

I got the oatmeal pancakes w/ pecans and peach compote and a side of egg whites.

Mrs. "Take a picture of my food!" got a Veggie Omelet:

Congrats Ma, you (and your food choices) are now famous.

After the parents left I went to the gym (amazed it was open on Easter Sunday!) and did an awesome 8 miles (pain free!), then set out to make an "Easter" inspired recipe. This post might be 80 pages long but I seriously couldn't hold this one back...
Banana Mango Protein Scones
Incredibly light and fruity w/soy protein hidden inside!
Loosely based on Karen Cooks Mango Scones
Print this Recipe!

Ingredients:
Dry:
1 cup WW flour
3/4 cup soy flour
1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (I used soy)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used Splenda brown)

1 tsp cinnamon
heaping 1/4 tsp ground ginger
heaping 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
sugar/splenda to taste

Wet:
1/2 cup yogurt (I used light n'fit Banana)
3 TBSP applesauce
2 eggs (I used 2 liquid egg whites)
heaping TBSP mango butter (optional)
1 tsp butter extract
1 tsp orange extract
1 TBSP agave

Mix in:
1/2 cup finely chopped mango (I used frozen, slightly thawed)
1 medium banana, finely chopped

Topping:
raisins + walnuts
egg wash: 2 TBSP liquid egg white + 1 TBSP mango butter
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Mix dry ingredients (flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt, spices, sugars) in a large bowl.
3. Whisk wet ingredients together (yogurt, extracts, applesauce, butter, eggs) in a small bowl.
4. Pour wet into dry. Fold in chopped fruit.
5. Mold batter into a large ball. Lay ball onto sprayed baking pan and flatten until ~1/2 inch thick.Cut into triangles.
6. Brush egg wash onto tops of scones. Press in walnuts and raisins.
7. Bake at 400F for 20-23 mins.
8. Let cool and serve w/ butter or cream.

What did you eat this Easter Weekend?

Seen any good movies recently?