The Connection Runners

Scholarly Blogging

Today I had another day off (I know, it's ridiculous). It was an exciting (and nerve-wracking) day, as I had a meeting with the doctor in charge of the new *blogging* project I'm getting involved with. Like, major involved.

My school has this rule that medical students must do a research project in order to graduate. Granted, many specialities require research and publications (journal articles) in order to be accepted into residency. I'm pretty sure peds isn't one of them--but no one is immune to the famed "scholarly project." I started off with bold aspirations of making an exercise video for kids (which I still might do one day), but quickly realized you can't make a (good quality) video with a med student's salary and time restraints. So I reached for a project I knew at least a little bit about--healthy lifestyle blogging! My original plan was to create my own blog for women looking to lose weight, but I found there was a research group within the university who was doing just that. And the bloggers they had hired to blog had never blogged (or read a blog!). Now, I don't know very much about blogging, but when they asked me to help direct the bloggers and work on blog quality control, how could I say no? A little knowledge about technology is better than no knowledge, and the scholarly project gods may have just smiled down on me a little. Hopefully the powers that be will approve this project I've already accepted, and I can graduate next year.

Speaking of graduation, the match (when 4th year medical students find out where they'll be going for residency) is tomorrow for the 4th years at my school. How nerve wracking. Can you believe in one year I'll know (hopefully!) where I'll be training as a doctor? Crazy.

On to more exciting healthy things. Like this juice I attempted to enjoy today (picked it up at Whole Foods if you're brave enough to try it):

Except, I spit it out immediately after the first sip. This stuff legit has aloe vera gel-the sunburn curing stuff- floating in it. No bueno, folks.

I rectified this with some berries, yogurt, and luck.

So lucky Siggi's was on sale today! I mixed all this shiz with a squirt of maple syrup, a shake of cinnamon, and a swirl of blueberry agave.

Much better. Topped with half a raspberry green tea muffin, some raisins, and pecans.

Have you started any new "projects" recently? And have you ever drank aloe vera (and liked it? Any blogging tips you want to share?