The Connection Runners

Fight Science: Taekwondo

As I have mentioned in the past, I owe my running to Taekwondo. If I did not begin taking martial arts almost two years ago, I probably would still be 50lbs heavier, living a sedentary lifestyle, daunted by the thought of a 5k, let alone a marathon... ... .or twelve.

I have taken a full month off from Taekwondo to let my calf muscle heal, and tonight I will finally return to class. I can't wait. My running has kept me fit, and while I still crank out my pushups on a regular basis, nothing can take the place of Taekwondo. Nothing quite like going full tilt, the solid thwap! of the heavybag, and hearing the support chains rattle over your kiyap, or strike yell, in Korean.

Taekwondo is just as much a mental discipline as a physical one - if not more so - and I credit my ability to churn out a marathon a month, plus all of the training miles in between, to the enhanced ability to concentrate, focus, and make rapid - yet proper - decisions while under pressure.

President Obama with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak throwing a Taekwondo jab in Seoul

I came across a terrific program on National Geographic Channel called Fight Science. It explores the correlation between various forms of martial arts training, technique and physics. One segment compares the kicks between Taekwondo, Karate, Muay Thai, and Capoiera, and determining which one delivers the most force per strike, and which one is considered to the be most effective in a real, unbalanced situation. Absolutely fascinating, in my opinion:

The TKD kick delivered by 5th Dan Bren Foster: 136 mph and 2,300 psi! Unbelievable.

Taekwondo has also helped my body become more efficient, and that easily translates to running. Just like I've learned that I don't need to throw five kicks when I can throw just one clean, properly placed strike, I've also learned that economy of motion will result in a smoother, more fluid stride. Other benefits include enhanced VO2max, the elimination of my heel pronation as I'm now a neutral, midfoot striker, and the increased abilty to conserve my energy and being able to draw upon my reserves when I need it most.

Another segment hones in on one benefit of Taekwondo: reaction time. How quickly does one respond to stimuli? At what point does thought become action? I would have to say of all of the benefits of Taekwondo, this has to be the greatest one of all.

The speed of the mind. As runners, we are always striving to go as fast as we can. But as that National Geographic Fight Science link illustrates, by slowing time down, I am getting faster.

Now if I can just set a new 26.2 personal best : )