The Connection Runners

Achilles' Last Stand

It was an April morning when they told us we should go
As I turn to you, you smiled at me
How could we say no?

With all the fun to have, to live the dreams we always had
Oh, the songs to sing, when we at last return again... ... ..

-'Achilles Last Stand' by Led Zeppelin

Probably my favorite Zeppelin song. Robert Plant wrote it with Jimmy Page in 1975, when he was recovering from a broken ankle sustained after a bad car accident. Page himself said it is his favorite song. I love the references to both Greek mythology and William Blake, and you can hear the influence they had on Pearl Jam in the opening - in fact I would love to hear Eddie Vedder and boys cover this.

Anyway, Achilles Last Stand takes on a whole new meaning these days - I have achilles tendonitis. The classic runner's overuse injury.

File:Achilles-tendon.jpg

I shouldn't be too surprised. When I began my 12 marathon 12 month journey I always knew an injury could derail me, and staying injury-free would be my single greatest challenge.

I've been rather fortunate up until this point, logging approximately 2,000 miles since I began my personal fitness renaissance in August 2009, 750 of those miles since I started preparing for this challenge last September. I had a slight hamstring tweak in April '10, my talus bone fracture at mile 44 of the 12 hr ultra, and my sore calf from Taekwondo. But nothing that has sidelined me from running for an extended period of time.

Now, I am going to do everything I can to effectively manage this.

According to Greek mythology, Achilles was dipped in the River Styx by his mother Thetis - as this was supposed to make him invincible - but his mother held him by his heel with her thumb and forefinger, thus unwittingly keeping that area vulnerable. And we all know it didn't end well for Achilles.

I've spoken to a family friend who happens to be a doctor, avid runner (Qualified for Boston) and a sufferer of plantar fascitis. We talked about Christopher McDougal's book Born to Run, minimalist vs traditional shoes, and the inevitable rash of repetitive strain/overuse injuries that can hit endurance athletes over time. He reaffirmed that, if treated properly, I can still run while mitigating the effects of this malady. R.I.C.E. - rest, ice, compression, elevation - will be key, as will frequent stretching exercises.

I went to Taekwondo again this evening, and it felt so good. I find that balancing on one foot is a simple but effective way to work my achilles, and I do quite a bit of that during a typical 70 minute class. Both achilles felt alright, calf so-so, but I've been icing them both since returning home.

My next run will probably be in 3-4 days, and when I do it will be a short 4 mile trail loop that runs through the Kittery Town Forest. Softer terrain, coupled with the change in running style, will still allow me to get in miles and maintain my cardio - and if I need to walk at any point, so be it.