The Connection Runners

Sunshine and Muffins

Today in Pittsburgh, something miraculous happened.

Temps soared to a balmy 67 degrees! Granted, I didn't actually make it out of the hospital when the sun was out, I was able to enjoy the glorious effects with a 5 mile run after work.

Warm weather, sunshine, and running outdoors really dose wonders for my mood and energy level!

Thumbs up, Pittsburgh.

In my sunny state, I decided to make some delish muffins with my favorite ingredient: the good ol' overripe banana.

Actually, the ones I used may have been a, um, tad more ripe than this guy...

Banana Streusel Muffins
I don't think an explanation is necessary, do you? ;-)
Adapted from Chew on this Vegan)


Ingredients:
2.5 medium bananas, mashed
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup spelt flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup canola oil (or applesauce)
1/8 cup dark chocolate chips
2 TBSP PB chips (optional)

Streusel topping (my new favorite):

2 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP cane sugar
2 TbSP whole wheat flour
2 TBSP vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance)
3 TBSP rolled oats
1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease/line muffin tins.
2. Mash bananas. Mix w/ syrup and oil.
3. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (minus chips and nuts)
4. Pour wet into dry, mix well. Fold in choco/pb chips/nuts.
5. Mix your streusel topping (all ingredients, one bowl).
6. Scoop batter into muffin tins. Top w/ ~1/2 TBSP of streusel topping per muffin (or more if you're like me).
7. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes.

CAUTION: Do not to eat the streusel topping from all the muffins and leave the rest.
Your husband/boyfriend/roommate may get mad. Unless you live alone--then by all means go to town :-)