The Connection Runners

Intuitively...

Another day, another outdoor run! It's like Christmas all over again. 7 miles for me today- had a little battle with the wind/leaves in my face, dodged a falling tree branch, was honked at 4 times, but damned if I didn't enjoy every second :-). Looks like the weather for the next week will be less than stellar, but this little tease of spring was enough to break those winter blues!

This is what happens when you google "Sad Weather"

This week I've been doing pretty good with exercise. Stress Eating is another story. I have a pretty big exam next week and am rounding out my internal med rotation, so my stress levels are pretty dang high. I've certainly consumed more than my fair share of crackers, homemade baked goods, valentine's chocolate, etc. However, I ate some Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal for the first time in like, 10 years this week and I honestly don't feel guilty. Intuitive Eating (from what I've read so far) is helping me accept that sometimes I'm going eat food with no nutritional value- but it eventually (cross fingers) balances out. (And who knew a serving of Cinnamon Toast Crunch now has 4 g of protein?)

Like today, intuitively, my body told me I had to make chocolate dipped cookie dough balls. OBVIOUSLY I had to listen.
Chocolate Coated Cookie Dough Bites

Don't let the deliciousness fool you, these have some quality healthy ingredients in them- I promise they're better than the omnipresent dunkin donut holes in the office.
From OSG

(I only coated half of them so I can justify eating them for breakfast... )
Ingredients:
2/3 cup cashews
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup spelt flour
7 pitted dates, chopped
1 TBSP vanilla agave nectar (or vanilla)
5 TBSP maple syrup
chip options: 1/8 cup pb chips or 1/8 cup dark chocolate chips
chocolate dip: melt 1/4 cup dark chocolate in the microwave for ~1 min-1:30

Directions:
1. Pulverize cashews and oats in food processor to a crumbly texture.
2. Add flour, dates, and pulverize to powder.
3. Add vanilla and maple syrup, blend until a dough forms.
4. Pour dough in a bowl, mix in chips (I did half chocolate and half peanut butter) and roll into golf-ball sized bites.
5. Melt dark chocolate in a small bowl. Dip dough balls into chocolate (cover 1/4-1/2 way). Freeze for ~30 mins until chocolate covering hardens.

Yes folks, that is chocolatey dipped peanut buttery goodness right there. Pretty much describes my life.

Happy weekend!