The Connection Runners

Self-Defeat? There's an App for That

Yesterday, the lovely Megan of Munch and Crunch posted about self defeat and it got me thinkin' (this is always dangerous).

As a future MD (I graduate in ~1 year and 3 months, but who's counting), I use facts and data often to assess disease process and likelihood, plan a diagnostic workup, and treat patients appropriately. Medicine, although subjective in some aspects, is based on objective rationale. I can rule in and out the most likely causes of your chest pain like that--

Like an iPhone- There's an app algorithm for that!

However, when it comes to matters of health, body image, weight, etc, it seems like for me (and many others), rationale goes out the door.

Some examples (anything sound familiar?):

Subjective: "I feel fat, gross, bloated, etc."

Objective: My clothes still fit, I had a big lunch/dinner, salty food, etc. This will pass.

Subjective: "I've been eating way too much, everyone must notice my weight."

Objective: I've been "intuitive eating," and am including more foods in my diet than I ever allowed. This is a healthy thing (mentally), and my weight will catch up. Plus, I think it's selfish to complain about my weight when I'm sure there are some awesome, hard working women out there who set their goal weight at my current one.

Subjective: "I didn't work hard enough/run enough/lift enough at the gym"

Objective: Hello?? I've exercise 5-6 days a week for months and am on my toughest rotation yet. My "slow" mile pace is some people's fast. I have visible arm and leg muscles, and those top abs peek out (sometimes... )

I wonder why everything for me is so visceral. Flawed instinct over reasoned intellect. I'm trying to say it out loud and make myself aware (who knows, maybe you're all doing this too)- cuz this subjective stuff is cr-az-ay and I want to use my noggin' more. There is no reason I (or you!) should be wallowing in self defeat.

Symptom: Self Defeat --->
Treatment:
Repeat after me:
I am beautiful
I am hard working
I am intelligent
I am loving, and loved
I am lucky

I may have to repeat this a million times- but one day this will stick-- and maybe I'll call up this "algorithm" the next time I feel a twinge (or sharp, 10/10, stabbing pain) of self-defeat.

Moving on--I created some fabulous graham cracker/cookie/blobs today and wanted to share.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Rounds
A twist on the good ol' honey graham cracker. "Rounds" cuz "amorphous blobs" didn't sound as good. Note to self: must invest in cookie cutters/scoring tools! Based on a Whole Foods recipe (there's an app for that). I used graham flour and peanut flour, feel free to just use whole wheat.


Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat graham flour
1/4 cup TJ's peanut flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 TBSP cocoa powder
2 TBSP butter (I used Earth Balance)
1 egg white
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
egg white and cane sugar for brushing

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Cut in butter and mix w/ hands until grainy texture.
3. In a separate bowl, mix egg white, brown sugar, vanilla, syrup and honey.
4. Pour wet into dry, mix until "dough" forms.
5. Coat a flat surface w/ flour (I used a plastic placemat). Form ball of dough, flatten onto floured placemat.
6. Cut/score crackers into squares/shapes of your choice. I was lazy and just formed dough balls, which I flattened with my hands (thus the "fun" shapes).
7. Brush tops of crackers/cookies with egg whites. Sprinkle w/cane sugar.
8. Bake at 350F for 13-15 mins.
9. Your house will smell AMAZING. Top with Nutella to make MORE amazing.


Oh yeah.

What are your thoughts on emotion vs. reason? And hands up if you LOVE Nutella?