The Connection Runners

Point-Two Song of the Week: Alexi Murdoch

Much of the music that lives in my iPod is there for a specific purpose. Matt & Kim's "Don't Slow Down" pumps me up during a long, tiresome run. "Belief" by John Mayer fuels my need to feel inspired. When I'm sitting in the car for a road trip to Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids, a witty ditty like Regina Spektor's "The Calculation" makes the flat Michigan landscape along the highway much more tolerable.

Yet despite all of my Type-A efforts to pigeonhole each song into a neat little purpose, a few manage to eek out of the way of my clawing grasp.

Today's song is one such survivor. On "All My Days", Alexi Murdoch sings about an elusive search for something. What that something is, I'm not sure. At times, the lyrics seem to refer to a search for God, but that's debatable. Beside, I prefer the object of the search be left unsaid. It's better that way. No matter what that object may be, there's a certain sense of uncertainty embedded in the words. Usually, uncertainty makes me uncomfortable, but here, it's almost freeing.

Perhaps it's better that we don't know/can't predict/are unable to prepare for what lies ahead once we find what we're looking for.

Listen to this live version of "All My Days" and ponder the search for yourself: