The Connection Runners

Lucas Wants to Get Off Of The Couch

The weather has sucked lately.

Case in point: I get excited when I see temps hit the double digits while I'm getting ready for work at 6 a.m. My hot green tea becomes iced green tea within 10 minutes of sitting in my car's cup holder. Ice and snow are caked on and around our driveway and walkway, so much so that I feel like I should be entering the front door of an igloo, not a brick bungalow.

It could go without saying that the weather put a damper on my fitness abilities. Hell, dampened doesn't even cover it. Drowned is a better word. I've pretty much reprised the role of Lucas in Empire Records when manager Joe tells him to sit on the employee couch all day. You see, Lucas is the kind of guy that wants to get off of the couch, but the forces that be keep him glued to it for the better part of the film.
(Sidebar: if the frigid air has you trapped indoors, do yourself a solid and watch this rockin' flick from the 90's. There's romance, a young Liv Tyler, and Rex Manning! "It's Rex Manning Day!")

Lucas Gems:
"In the immortal words of The Doors, 'The time to hesitate is through.'"
"What's with today, today?"
"I do not regret the things I've done, but those I did not do."

As the winter weather has more or less sucked the life out of the world lately, methinks this blog post will be dedicated to highlighting a handful of spring and early summer races/events in the Mitten. Perhaps this will motivate me to do something with my legs other than use them to occasionally kick the remote up closer to my hand.

1) Detroit Race for the Cure - 5k, May 21. This event offers a huge field for both runners and walkers, cool swag, free snacks from sponsors, and an energizing positive vibe. It's a perfect first road race for those apprehensive to get into the racing game, and it benefits breast cancer research to boot. What's not to love?

2) Borgess Run for the Health of It - 5k, Half, and Full Marathon, May 8. Home to the first-ever Kalamazoo Marathon, this race series has a decent sized field - not too small, not overwhelmingly large. The Marathon course will run through this blogger's Alma Mater, too! Plus, the variety of course lengths offer a distance for everyone.

3) Martian Race Series, April 2. I've never participated in this series, but it sounds pretty cool. For starters, participants can choose from a plethora of distances: full and half marathon, marathon relay, 10k, 5k, and a mini-marathon for kids. I'd also do this race just for the finisher's shirt; it's got a pretty groovy alien-esque design that just can't be beat.

4) Zoo-de-Mack 51-Mile Ride, May 21. Though I don't cycle as much as I want, this ride is one of my favorite events of the season. Here's a post about last year's shenanigans. The best part about ZDM is that it isn't a race, but a lovely, leisurely ride. In fact, my group of friends generally finishes with the end of the pack, Camelbaks empty! The course winds through the gorgeous west coast of Michigan along the Lake and through the "Tunnel of Trees." If the weather's decent, it can be a beautiful ride.

5) Dexter-Ann Arbor - 5k, 10k, Half, June 5. Yet another race I've never done but always wanted to. Actually, we nearly signed up for it two years ago, but I changed our plans due to a bachelorette party the night before, and I've gotten crap for that ever since. Perhaps this is the year I redeem myself for that one. Anywho, the website for the Dex-AA run boasts a fast, scenic course and that it'll be the "best darned race you'll ever run!" From what I've heard, it is a great race and one to check out at some point in one's racing career.