The Connection Runners

Get Your Carb On

Well folks, all I can say today is thank heaven for small miracles. This day was remarkably craptastic (<-- this is an official medical term), but luckily I had a meeting about a prospective blogging related research project--and it was promising. Can you imaging helping with a blog and getting published in a medical journal?? Cross your fingers for me :-)

After my rollercoaster day- I was craving some Carbs. I've definitely determined my stress eating pattern.

This is exactly what I look like when I'm chowing down on crackers and toast. Seriously.

Then I caught myself in the midst of my feast and thought about something I've noticed (intuitively) that helps satiate me. Hello Protein!
What could I do to combine my love of glorious (whole grain ;-) ) carbs with my need for protein?

First- apron on.

Second?

War paint. (yeah, that may or may not be flour... )

I think you'll like this one.

Pumpkin Protein Scones
(adapted from LLE's Pumpkin Raisin Scones)
Yeah, I still have pumpkin left over from the fall. Stockpiled it baby :-).
Can sub canned squash or sweet tater as well.
Starring:

(Get a load of that protein content!)
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup soy flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP cane sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
6 TBSP butter (I used earth balance)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3 TBSP milk (I used soy)
1 flax egg (1 TBSP flaxseed meal, 3 TBSP water)
Fold-ins: 2 TBSP butterscotch chips, 2 TBSP dark chocolate chips, 1.5 TBSP chopped pecans
Glaze (optional): 2 TBSP brown sugar, 3 TBSP milk, 1 tsp arrowroot powder/cornstarch

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Mix flax egg, set aside.
3. Combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, spices, sugar, baking powder) in large bowl.
4. Add in butter w/ dry ingredients until crumbly mix forms.
5. Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl (pumpkin, flax egg, milk).
6. Pour wet into dry, mix until dough is formed.
7. Fold in desired add-ins (butterscotch chips, choco chips, pb chips, nuts, raisins, etc).
8. Mold dough into ball. Roll out onto a greased baking sheet w/ a rolling pin. Dough should be ~ 1 inch thick.

9. Cut into triangles.

10. Mix glaze (brown sugar, milk, starch). Brush onto tops of dough triangles.
11. Bake at 400F for 15 mins.

Serve with some hot coffee. I won't judge if it's of the Irish variety.


There ya go friends. Go get your Carb on- with a nice little protein kick ;-).

(Side note- blogger is seriously being screwy today. I apologize if the directions are in an orange background! ugh.)