The Connection Runners

Broadcast yourself! or not

I've thought quite a bit about blogging, privacy, and the desire to be public/private. I thought a lot about the public/private distinction, how it has been created and how it is slowly being eroded. I don't want to say too much about that, but..

I think there is something nice about being part of a network or group of people who communicate and share stories online (whether about running or something else). I think that my running experiences have been richer because I occasionally post something about running: I have met good people and have been in contact with them because of this blog (or their blog). I enjoy sharing my experiences, reading about other's experiences, and receiving feedback or leaving feedback.

But I think there is also something nice about privacy. I have the utmost respect for people who don't feel compelled to share anything about their running, their kids, whatever they feel passionate about. For these people, their experiences may be enjoyable because they are private. There is something romantic and enduring in the idea of not needing to share or attempt to replicate anything that has subjectively passed.

And that being said, I occasionally think that some people take it a little too far. Like this guy. He broadcast his entire marathon race. All 6 hours and 28 minutes of it. What's his purpose in doing so? He says for fun. I cannot imagine that running a 6:28 marathon was fun for this guy, so what is going on here?