The Connection Runners

Time to Kick it Up a Notch

Blogging from my phone, let's see how this goes. :)

I spend about 2 hours (total) a week in front of an actual computer. All emails/twitter/reading blogs is done from my blackberry. So, I figured: Why not write blog posts from it too.

What am I doing?

I took a bit of time off from running after the marathon to rehab my IT band, and then slowly started running again. Right now I'm only running about 4 miles at a time. So far those runs have been pain free (other than that darn impinged nerve in my heel). I'm excited to slowly start adding back in miles.

Along with running, I have started P90x. Just to be clear: I have no affiliation with the people behind P90x. They DID NOT send me these dvds. I paid for them myself.

Now that that's out of the way, I will tell you what I think so far:

Plyo: I LOVE the plyometrics dvd. A bunch of squats,lunges and of course jumping around. I really want to focus on strengthening my legs,knees and especially gluts. The great thing about this particular workout is that there is room for improvement. I can do all the moves,and it kicks my butt, but when the moves become easy I can just kick it up a notch. Jump higher, squat lower, push harder. I'm loving it!

Cardio: Their Cardio dvd is pretty much a joke. From what I can tell its supposed to be used on the same day as a strength training dvd, but I still just think they really missed the mark on it. Its just too easy, plain and simple. I was disappointed that I wasn't challenged. For a semi-rest day or maybe for a warm up to running, it works.

Core: I enjoyed the core workout. There are a few moves I struggle with because my lower back is weak. I look forward to further working on that area.

Arms: HELLO I can do unassisted pull ups. Ok, I can only do a couple, but hey- its something. :)

I've only been doing P90X for two weeks, and I've been doing it a la carte. I haven't committed to the full 90 day challenge yet, I wanted to make sure I can handle running and the program.

I'm incorporating it hoping that getting fitter overall will help me to become a stronger runner, and MOST importantly I am hoping it will help me ward off injuries. Ahhhhh... .my quest to run injury-free... .

p.s. There are a few super exciting things happening right now, things that made me dance around with excitement, but for now... .they have to remain to secret. Curious yet?:)

Have YOU tried P90x?
Do you follow any set program for strength training?