The Connection Runners

So This is the New Year...

Happy New Year blogworld! Hope everyone had a safe and rockin' celebration for NYE!

I went with the hubs to Station Square for all you can eat/drink to ring in the new year.

I wore a purple minidress and tights- which was surprisingly the most tasteful outfit I saw that night ;-)

Practicing our puckers for midnight

The real deal

Midnight toast

The "all you can eat" consisted of pasta, wings, chicken fingers, and onion rings. However, I sucked it up and had some pasta and a chicken finger to fill my belly. <----didn't kill me.

Yesterday was a "relax" kind of day. We hung around the apartment and then went to a local bar to watch the Penguins Winter Classic. <--disappointing.

Then we played shuffleboard! <----Not so disappointing.

Yesterday I got to thinking about New Year's resolutions. To be honest, I almost never make them. I think it's because I'm always afraid that I won't be able to follow through on the deal.

This year, however- I've got this little blogaroo to keep me honest. So here are some resolutions I made--said out loud--so you can hunt me down if I don't keep em. In no particular order:

Resolution #1. Spend more time doing fun things in Pittsburgh with my husband.

Don't get me wrong- we spend a ton of time together. And although it looks like we're always "out and about," most of our time is spend holed up in our apartment. We got married ~6 months ago and did not have a honeymoon, and I think we need to spend some more quality time doing new, fun things together. Inspiration: Joe And Betsy's NEW-ly-wed challenge. Check it out.

Resolution #2. Add a little more "flex" to my diet. I'm a little torn about this- as I have 2 conflicting goals about my diet. I want to commit myself to eating more whole foods and less processed, but I also want to allow myself some "unhealthy" food every once in awhile. Basically I want to give myself a break- I'm not a perfect eater and I don't want to beat myself up if I eat a full fat cookie, french fries, ice cream, etc. every once in awhile.

Which leads into...

Resolution #3. Stop being my own worst critic.

Sometimes I feel like I'm hard wired to pick myself apart- my jeans size, my exercise effort, my grades. Once again- trying to cut myself some slack this year!

Resolution #4. Find one happy thing about every day. Med school is tough. It's stressful. I definitely have some bad days. But I want to commit to finding at least one happy thing about each day- life is too short to be miserable!
Today's "happy" thing:
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes w/ peanut butter and whipped cream.

Resolution #5. Record my running mileage for the year. I think it will be really cool to see how many miles I log, as well as the other hard work in exercise I put in this year. Anyone know of a blog widget that could make this possible?

Resolution #6. Take more pictures. There are years of my life, entire holiday seasons that I have no pictures of. I want to take better record of the things I do and see from here on out- so one day I can look back with my kids and reminisce about how frickin' cool my life is :-)

Resolution #7. Improve the blog. I'm new to blogging, and I'm still working to find my "voice." I know who I am, but I think the intentions I had coming into the blog are different from what I'm working with now. I want my personality to come through, I want to share my "journey" and learn about those of you who are right there with me. I love suggestions, so drop me a line if you have any ideas/questions/comments!

2011 is a big year for me. I'm turning 25, applying to residency, going on interviews, taking Step 2, planning a big(ger) wedding for 2012, and preparing for my future life as a doctor!

There are a lot of things I want to accomplish and I'm really hoping this year will be one of learning, growing, and improving my life.

Hope you'll stick around to watch!