The Connection Runners

Weekend Recap, Granola is Back!

Hi everyone! Hope you had a great weekend. Here's a recap of mine:

Friday night: Went to one of our favorite local bars/restaurants Fatheads.

There's Mr. Fathead himself.

Now, the name Fathead's pretty much gives away the gist of the restaurant- the food is as artery clogging as food can get. That being said- I don't go there for the food. Check out the 'on tap' menu:

Yeah. Boys love beer--and being as I live with one--we love this place :-)

I started off with Fathead's Bumbleberry beer- it was light and blueberry flavored. Hubs got a dark beer.

We were seated pretty quickly and this is what my guy ordered:

"But babe- I ordered a salad!"

This thing was the size of a basketball and drenched in cheese and olives. I did not partake :-P
I munched on some homemade chips during the dinner and hung out with some friends-

Boys

Hubs

And some lovely ladies. Fun!

Saturday- I woke up and noticed something unusual peeking through the blinds! No, it wasn't some creepy peeping Tom- it was..

dun dun dun...

The Sun!

Here in Pittsburgh we haven't seen much of that for weeks. I could hardly contain myself, I laced up my running shoes and practically skipped out the door (after doing a sun dance which my hubs thought was insane cute). Did 5 miles and smiled the whole time. No matter that my fingers were numb at the end...
Last night we went to a friend's get together- had some wine and snacks, and played cards. I brought Energy Bars

There were only crumbs left on the plate when we left the party. Yay!

This morning we went to brunch at one of my new favorite veggie brunch spots- Zenith. I talked about it before a few weeks ago- $10 for an entree, coffee or tea, and huge buffet. Today I had apple pancakes w/delicious rice (must learn how to make!), sampled salad and homemade bundt cakes with a side of (carrot cake, chocolate strawberry, peanut butter, almond sunflower seed). Soo good!

Tonight I went to the gimnasio and did some treadmill sprints (a new staple in my workout) for about 5 miles. Why I'm stuck on the 5 mile number not sure- but it feels better than 4 and my times-a-limited! I watched a great episode of How Do I Look? during the run and it flew by. Stopped by Trader Joes for the weekly groceries, and then I whipped up some deliciosity in the form of granola (oh how I missed you!):

Banana Honey Nut Granola
Nuts, seeds, peanut butter and banana with a touch of honey- grown up cheerios with a twist!

Ingredients:

Dry:
3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans/walnuts/etc
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 tsp cinnamon

Wet:
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used JIF Natural)
1.5 ripe bananas, mashed
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP honey

Mix-ins:
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
3 TBSP peanut butter chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease a shallow baking pan.
2. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients in another. Pour wet into dry and mix well.
3. Bake in the center of the oven at 325F for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until nearly dry.
4. Mix in raisins, cranberries, and PB chips.
5. Drool.

See the PB chips melting in there? Mmm. Chocolate chips would work too ;-).

And for anyone that hasn't tried making granola yet- I just want to let you know it's really easy! I experiment with different spices and flavors- but the gist is generally the same. Dry ingredients: oats with nuts/seeds/dried fruit; Wet ingredients: banana, pumpkin, maple syrup/agave/coconut oil/honey, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice etc. Have fun experimenting with different ideas- it's really fun!

Off to pack lunch/get ready for the week--

Allie