The Connection Runners

Pancake Brunch-- Recreated

To be honest, I've never been the biggest fan of pancakes. Pillowy, fluffy, airy- these things don't appeal to me in a breakfast food.

Save it for the clouds.

Dense, chewy, creamy, crunchy? Now that's what I'm talking about!

A few weeks ago at Zenith PGH I had pancakes that were exactly what I was looking for. Thick, dense, chewy. The complete opposite of what my dining friends liked. (Which meant extra pancakes for me :-) ). Since that day- I've had a hankering for these pancakes.

Today, after only one failed trial (who knew baking powder was essential??)- I give you... .

My first (ever) batch of homemade pancakes!

Pumpkin Blueberry Mini Pancakes
Adapted from HEAB's Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes
Pumpkin makes it's glorious comeback in this delicious recipe. And you thought you'd seen the last of the stuff. Too bad my momma snapped up the last 2 massive cans of Libby's pumpkin for me. A miniaturized version of the irresistible pancakes I had at Zenith- with blubes mixed in!
Easy to make (if you remember the baking powder), even easier to eat!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
sweetener to taste (I used 1 packet truvia + 1 TBSP brown sugar)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg (I used liquid egg whites)
1/4 cup blueberries
Fixin's: pumpkin butter, chopped pecans, raisins, honey Greek yogurt, maple syrup

Directions:
1. Grease pancake griddle (or in my case, frying pan).
2. Mix flour, spice, salt, baking powder, and sweetener in medium bowl. Mix pumpkin, vanilla, egg in a small bowl.
3. Pour wet into dry and mix well. Fold in blueberries (or berries of your choice).
4. Slowly add water until batter is thick but pourable.

5. Set stovetop on medium high heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter in each corner of the griddle. Let brown on side 1 (mine took about a minute) and flip. Let brown on side 2 (took a little longer).
6. Remove from heat and arrange on a plate. Slather with fixin's.

Dense, Chewy pancakes w/ pumpkin Butter, crunchy chopped pecans, raisins, and maple syrup. With a dollop of creamy spiced honey Greek yogurt for extra protein!

With these pancakes in my belly, I'm ready to start the day afternoon. Gotta love Christmas break!