The Connection Runners

Kitchen Sink

Most people have hobbies for a few simple reasons:
1. Enjoyment
2. Physical/Emotional/Spiritual Benefit
3. Catharsis

For me, baking is cathartic. Whether I'm feeling down, am full of nervous energy, or simply need to get rid of some of the clutter in my life (i.e. kitchen)- baking calms me (and of course eating the finished product is a bonus!). Last night before we went to Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, I set out to clean up some of the clutter-you know what I'm talking about- the last 1/2 can of pumpkin, an overripe banana, the last tsp of pumpkin pie spice (:-( )--they were taking up space in my kitchen, and it was time to clean house. I hadn't made muffins in a while, so here is what I concocted: in my kitchen.

Kitchen Sink Muffins:
Banana, pumpkin, spices, maple, blueberries, raisins- you name it I mixed it in-everything but the kitchen sink!The result was a flavorful, moist muffin perfect for breakfast, snacks, or dessert.

Ingredients:
1/2 can pumpkin
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup blueberries
3 TBSP chocolate chips
3 TBSP raisins
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 TBSP cane sugar
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP stevia
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
4 TBSP smart balance oil
3 TBSP liquid egg whites (or 1 egg)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease/line 12 muffin tins.
2. Mix wet ingredients (pumpkin, mashed banana, syrup, egg whites, oil) in one bowl. Mix dry ingredients (flour, spices, salt, baking powder+ soda, sugars, flaxseed) into another bowl.
3. Pour wet into dry and mix well. Fold in blueberries, raisins, chocolate chips, (and nuts if you like- I was out).
4. Spoon ~2 TBSP of batter into each muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted comes clean (not counting the blueberry/chocolate residue!). Makes 12 muffins (or 24 minis).

After baking and a quick dinner (pumpkin cream cheese spread on baked tofu, spinach salad w/ chickpeas, carrots, pistachios, and nutritional yeast)- it was time for Chelsea.

Us before the show- excited!

The new Consol Energy Center was awesome. There wasn't a bad seat in the house- and believe me we were pretty high up in the stands. Heather McDonald opened for Chelsea (if you're familiar with the show she's Heather "Longboobs-") and she talked mostly about celebrities and being a mom. She was really funny!

Heather performed for about an hour and then Chelsea came on right away.

If you watch her show you know that she's pretty crass, and has a hilariously sarcastic sense of humor. The show was much dirtier than her late night show- just to put it in perspective. We laughed the whole time though, she really is a funny lady!

She alternated sips of bottled water and a mysterious glass- I'll let you decide what was in said mystery drink (Belvedere anyone?). I would definitely recommend the show if she's coming to your town soon- just know this is not safe for kids (or first dates... ). Tickets are on sale at TicketMaster.

That's it for tonight- I'll be back with a solution for coconut water woes, and a delicious salad dressing. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday (I'm off to watch Dexter!).

-Allie