The Connection Runners

Coconuts and Cake

Hey everyone! Sorry for the brief hiatus, I've had a busy week (and my computer decided to contract a virus :-( ).

Recap of my week so far-

No- not the delicious birthday treat :-). On Monday- I went w/ my husband to the Cake/Anberlin concert- he won tickets a few weeks ago and we had box seats at a brand new concert venue in the 'Burgh- Stage AE. The venue was on the North Shore near the stadiums- and was small but cozy. The building was 2 floors, w/ a large open standing room area downstairs w/a bar, and an upstairs w/ seats and another bar. Simple, but it will likely be a great venue for small bands in the future.

VERDICT: I didn't know many of Anberlin's songs but they were entertaining. There was a time when I thrived on being in the mosh pit of a concert where the whole band wears skinny jeans; but for this concert I'm glad I was in a box seat. Cake is the band known for songs like "Short Skirt, Long Jacket," "Never There," "Perhaps," etc. They were incredibly creative, using all kinds of weird instruments and oddball lyrics. Overall I'd say the concert was good. Hubby thought it was great. (You say tomato..)

Tuesday- Worked, logged 5 miles of sprints on the treadmill (I've been trying to get back into running- took a hiatus for awhile due to the weather!). Watched GLEE Xmas episode, then stopped by another school Xmas party. Score #2 w/ party food- I ate cucumbers, green peppers, and some pita bread. Always fun to get your greens in during a fiesta :-).

Today- I had work, a meeting- and then did ~40 mins circuit training and ~20 minutes of treadmill sprints.

I mentioned on Sunday that I had some trouble w/ coconut water- and found a way to make it work. I've heard a lot of good things about coconut water recently
1. Excellent for hydration
2. High in potassium
3. rich in electrolytes
4. fat free
5. Natural sports drink

etc.

So I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, I was NOT pleased with the plain version I got- It tasted like salty egg whites! I don't like wasting, so I quickly fashioned a solution-

Mango Coconut Sherbet Smoothie
Just 3 ingredients- and super hydrating!
1 can/bottle of coconut water
3/4 cup fresh/frozen mango (I used frozen)
1 packet pink lemonade Crystal Light

Directions:
Pour all 3 ingredients into blender- and blend!

Simple- and tastes just like sherbet. Success:-)

Anyone else had a similar issue with coconut water? Any solutions?

Enjoy the rest of Hump Day,
Allie